FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to Capture directly to QNAP with Black Magic Media Express or Resolve. It times out at exactly 2GB.

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Myron Lenenski
Unable to Capture directly to QNAP with Black Magic Media Express or Resolve. It times out at exactly 2GB.
on Oct 29, 2017 at 2:04:49 am

QNAP TS-1685 with 12 4TB Toshiba N300 drives , 10GBE directly connected to MacPro 5.1 running Yosemite.

Just trying to do a simple capture of SD files to the QNAP with any Black Magic Resolve or Media Express application. Have tried four different MacPro's and we get the same results. Tried it 15 times.

Black Magic Disk Test was 500 write and 500 read.

Spent two hours on the Phone with QNAP running tests etc. They say I need to use Premiere Pro since it works.

Forget Black Magic software for now. Has anyone heard of this problem?

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
Re: Unable to Capture directly to QNAP with Black Magic Media Express or Resolve. It times out at exactly 2GB.
on Oct 29, 2017 at 3:56:30 am

I saw this in the Blackmagic forum and responded there...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Unable to Capture directly to QNAP with Black Magic Media Express or Resolve. It times out at exactly 2GB.
on Oct 29, 2017 at 3:02:40 pm
Last Edited By Bob Zelin on Oct 29, 2017 at 3:06:17 pm

Hi -
it's not 2 GB - it's 2.15 GB exactly. This was a classic problem with Adobe as well (at one time) where you could not record out to any network volume with Apple computers that was over 2.15 GB. This was well documented, and can still be found if you google search around (something like cannot record files greater than 2.15 GB with Adobe Premiere or Adobe After Effects). Apple was never going to do anything about it, but Adobe did - Adobe fixed this issue (I think back with CS 5.5 or CS6) and there is no issue with Adobe software to any network volume now (and your QNAP TS-1685 is a wonderful product). The fix was posted by Todd Kopriva, who is the product manager for professional video software at Adobe. And there never was an issue with FCP 6, FCP 7, FCP X or Media Composer either. At the time of the problem, I would simply install FCP 7 on people's systems, and tell them not to use Blackmagic Media Express, and to capture with FCP 7.

SO - Blackmagic never addressed this issue, and the only way to record to a network volume with Media Express over 2.15 GB is to a local drive connected to your Mac, and then transfer this (drag it) over to the QNAP. This is NOT a QNAP issue - this is a Media Express issue, that I guess, Blackmagic feels is too unimportant to address. Let me be very clear about this. If you had your Mac running Blackmagic Media Express, and used simple file sharing to mount another Mac with a USB or Thunderbolt drive to your Mac, so you could record your video (using Media Express) over the network (over a simple 1G Ethernet cable from Mac 1 to Mac 2) - this would FAIL at 2.15 GB (when using Media Express). When is this being "fixed"? If I were you, I would not hold my breath.

OOH - I found one of the old Adobe posts on this from Todd at Adobe (remember, this is old, and this issue has been fixed by Adobe) -
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/cant-create-quicktime-movie-larger-th...

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]