FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt 3 to FW800?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Thunderbolt 3 to FW800?
on Oct 25, 2017 at 10:10:03 am

I had this crazy idea, and I have no clue as to if it will work?!

I am about to get an Areca 8050T3 8 bay enclosure for my MacBook Pro 2017. I am using the MBP for 99% of my video editing. I do have an old Mac Pro 2008 connected for the occasional assistant editor that will come and help out. Now my only issue with the Areca is that it only has Thunderbolt 3 and no USB 3.1 fallback. In case of an emergency - say my laptop is broken/stolen I have no way to access my data and I was wondering if I connect a T3 to T2 adapter on the Areca, and then a T2 to FW800 adapter, will my Mac Pro be able to read the files?

Again, this is only for emergency situations. For sharing files, 1GbE through my MBP covers my needs for now and I can always get 2 10GbE adapters if I want 4K in the future.

Video, music and photography.
nick314.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Thunderbolt 3 to FW800?
on Oct 25, 2017 at 11:08:28 pm

thunderbolt 3 to everything (including Firewire 800 and USB 3) -
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock?_ga=2.18712215...

for thunderbolt 3 to 10GbE, you get a Promise SanLink3. It works great.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 26, 2017 at 6:24:15 am

Bob thank you, I appreciate the response. My question is a bit more specific in this case. Can I actually connect these adapters directly onto the Areca, in order to read it directly attached to my Mac Pro 2008, in case my laptop breaks down ?

Passion and knowledge put to work
nick314.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 26, 2017 at 3:40:11 pm

no
you cannot use ANY thunderbolt product on an old PCIe Mac Pro. Period.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 26, 2017 at 6:59:23 pm

I thought so, just had to ask someone that has tried it!

Follow up question then. What is the absolute lowest cost solution to access files on a thunderbolt 3 only DAS such as the Areca 8050T3-8 (formatted for mac)? Remember this is only in case of emergency, so speed is not an issue. Just plain old access to the files.

Cheap mac-mini with thunderbolt?
PC with thunderbolt?
Other way that my mind won't go to?

Thank you!

Passion and knowledge put to work
nick314.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 27, 2017 at 7:41:32 pm

cheap Mac mini (which is thunderbolt 2) and t2 to t3 adaptor from Apple
I never tried this, to this drive array. This is my assumption that it will work
bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 7, 2017 at 8:15:01 am

The T2-FW800 adapter is not reversible so you cannot use it to connect a FW800 host like an old MacPro to a new T2 device.

However, the Apple T3-T2 adapter is reversible (a similar one from Akitio is not).

So, using an Apple T3-T2 adapter you could connect the Areca T3 RAID to an older Mac mini or MacBook Air/MacBook Pro with a T2-T2 cable. Maybe you could consider (for emergencies) getting a refurb/used Mac mini or even MacBook Air, just to be able to access the Areca.

My choice would be a MacBook Air. It has a screen/keyboard/trackpad built-in, and has CPU spec similar to a Mac mini. Might cost as much as or maybe less than a Mac mini.

But, with your old MacPro, you're out of luck connecting to the T3 Areca RAID, or even any T2 device.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]