FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP Thunderbolt 3 NAS

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gutt
QNAP Thunderbolt 3 NAS
on Jul 18, 2017 at 7:08:27 pm

Does anyone have experience using either of the new QNAP devices?
https://www.qnap.com/solution/thunderbolt3-nas/en/

The device promises that 4 users can be connected at one time. I'm looking to rig some Thunderbolt equipped MacBook Pros to the system to do light editing.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: QNAP Thunderbolt 3 NAS
on Jul 19, 2017 at 9:58:54 pm

yes -
what questions do you have.
Please be aware that these are thunderbolt 3 connections, which means new MacBook Pro's. You will have to assign static IP's to each of these thunderbolt ports, and static IP's to the thunderbolt bridge ports on your new Mac Book Pro's. This is NOT plug and play, like a Promise R8 or G-Tech Studio XL drive. The systems have to be configured.

In addition, the QNAP will come with four 1G ethernet ports and two 10Gbase-T ports, so you can use these as well.
You may find it easier to deal with 1G or 10G connections. With the 10G ports, you will get more than enough bandwidth to edit 6K media (as well as 4K and 1080i HD).

The maximum cable run for thunderbolt 3 is 2 meters currently, and there are no thunderbolt 3 expander cables or optical cables. You may find that simply purchasing a $800 Netgear 8 port 10G switch will make it much easier to have a realistic workflow for your four editors, as opposed to four guys huddled 6 feet away from each other at one common table.

The QNAP product line is quite amazing. Unlike Accusys Exasan, the QNAP does not require a MetaData server running XSAN or Tiger Share. Just click on GO> Connect To Server, and your QNAP will mount (once you configure the QNAP properly).

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gutt
on Jul 20, 2017 at 5:36:25 pm

Thank you Bob. This was very helpful.

Return to posts index

Dave Gutt
on Jul 20, 2017 at 11:49:05 pm

I do have one thunderbolt question - I have an older MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt 2 port on it. Would using a Thunderbolt 3 adapter allow me to get full functionality with the QNAS, or would I lose features such as the network connection? I do understand this would have significantly lower speeds.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 21, 2017 at 12:51:06 pm

if you simply purchase a Sonnet Twin 10G or Promise SanLink2 which are thunderbolt 2 to 10G adaptors, you will get incredible speeds from your older MacBook Pro. Problem solved.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:31:15 pm
Last Edited By Neil Sadwelkar on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:41:00 pm

I've come across this small and handy TB2-10GigE adapter from Akitio.
https://www.akitio.com/adapters/thunder2-10g-network-adapter
It even has a built-in TB2 cable.

Difference between this and the Sonnet TwinG or Promise Sanlink is that they both have two 10GigE ports while the Akitio has only 1. And the Akitio costs about $ 170 less. And if you get it bundled with a TB3-TB2 adapter it costs $ 200 less than the Sonnet/Promise.

No direct experience with this unit but I've used other Akitio TB2 docks and they've worked fine for me for many years.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]