FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small personal business

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Dybczak
Small personal business
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:26:43 pm

I got a small private business. Doing commercials, web pages, video presentations etc. I got a iMac, 2xMacBook Pro, 3xSony PMV200 Camera, 2xGoPro Hero 3+. I also got a Blackmagicdesign ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K.

My intention is to use the Atem 2 to produce conferences, smaller sports events etc.

At the same time I have a small home office situation where I'm editing video and other video related material. I need a data storage Server for my office. All the users need to be able to access it, and to work of it. As of now, there is only a small router, working as a Switch, and the only storage is on my computers.

In a future scenario I would like to have a studio setup where the Atem switcher can deliver and retrieve media from the data storage server.

What is the best solution for me? Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Small personal business
on Nov 8, 2016 at 11:03:02 pm

you did not say how many users.
You need any NAS system that has a 10G connection, which in turn will connect to a 10G switch that all your users can connect to. Then they can share.

You need EIGHT DISK DRIVES (any size you like) to get reliable playback for your multiple users. Can you get away with four drives NO - you can use cheap Toshiba 1TB drives for 50 bucks a piece, but if you don't have 8 drives spinning, your system will suck. Can you use a Drobo? NO - no 10G connection. Can you use your office switch - NO - you need at least a 10G uplink port.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Allan Dybczak
on Dec 3, 2016 at 8:13:33 pm

This is what I have been offered from a local IT-company.

Is this way off?
---
SYNOLOGY DS1815+ 8-bay NAS-case
Intel Atom C2538 2.4GHz Quad-Core
2 GB RAM (can be upped to 6)
Pláss til 8 diskar max (64TB)
4xUSB, 4xRJ45 og 2xeSATA
Price: 1078$
---
4x
WD RED harddiskur til NAS-case 24/7
8TB
3.5”
Price pr. unit: 368$
---
TREND-net TEG-S16DG 16-Port
Gigabit Switch
Price: 98$
---
---
Price for everything: 2660$

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 3, 2016 at 10:07:58 pm

yes - this is way off.
Why are you dealing with a local IT company ? Why not with a professional video dealer ?
Are you in the US, or Europe ?

The smallest Synology with 10G is the DS3615xs, and you need to buy the 10G card as an option.
If you have limited budget you are better off with a low end QNAP, like the TX831X that supports 10G and comes with the 10G ports. The smallest switch you can use is the Netgear XS708T. The drives are fine.

If you don't have a 10G backplane system, you are just wasting your time, to try to have multiple people try to edit from the same storage - even if it's only over 1G connections.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Allan Dybczak
on Jan 23, 2017 at 11:18:33 am

Thank you for your advice, and sorry for my late reply.

Oh ok. We don’t have any professional video dealer in my country, only semi-small IT-companies. We need a good switch first, and then decide on the server which contains data.

We are planning on doing some live streaming, hence the ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K. We have done some, but with leased equipment.

So first, a good Switch for the Studio. A Switch that is good, but not too expensive. A Switch that is also good when we get to the Editing and Live Streaming part.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]