FORUMS: list search recent posts

network throughput benchmark?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Gerulaitis
network throughput benchmark?
on May 29, 2013 at 10:34:24 pm

My client just installed a 10GbE switch with appropriate NICs all around, and reports 600MB/s write but 250MB/s read speeds. The DAS on the xServe is doing 1GB/s, so it shouldn't be the bottleneck.

The first thing I want to do is a little more benchmarking, especially with varying block sizes (IOMeter or ATTO Benchmark style).

Anything on a Mac that'll let me test read and writes with, say, 4KB and 1MB block sizes?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: network throughput benchmark?
on May 30, 2013 at 1:05:51 am

Hi Alex -
Xserve is the server, and client computers are Mac's ? 250MB/sec is the correct speed if you don't have tuning files installed for your 10Gig cards (and also enable jumbo frames on server, switch and client NIC's). Every card manufacturer has tuning files for OS X.

What switch are you using ?

bob zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 30, 2013 at 1:22:50 am

Thanks for tuning in Bob,

Yes, iMacs with ATTO ThunderLink NT 1102 (the fans on which the client says are quite loud). NetGear XS708E switch. ATTO FFRM-NT12-000 on the xServe.

Jumbo frames are enabled all around except the switch - couldn't figure out where to set them there.

Will check into tuning files.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 30, 2013 at 12:55:27 pm

the switch defaults to an MTU of 1500. You must enable jumbo frames, so you get an MTU of 9000.

What switch are you using ?

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 30, 2013 at 12:57:16 pm

oops - you just told me what switch you are using.
I don't remember if the 708 defaults to jumbo frames on, or if there is a toggle for in the the management. As you know, you can't use a Mac to do management on the 708 - you MUST use a Win 7 PC to get into the GUI.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 31, 2013 at 12:56:57 am

[Bob Zelin] "I don't remember if the 708 defaults to jumbo frames on, or if there is a toggle for in the the management."

That's the thing, no mention of jumbo frames, MTU sizes or related technologies (802.11) in User Guide.

I don't have access to the switch, so maybe the setting is there, it's just the User Guide doesn't mention it.

BTW, seen a few write-ups out there saying jumbo frames improve performance only marginally if at all on 10GbE. What's your take on it?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 31, 2013 at 7:24:10 pm

ATTO recommends using jumbo frames. I have seen both increased performance AND decreased performance from using jumbo frames.
I can tell you that while a switch will act as a pass thru, many products are NOT happy if the server is at MTU9000, and the client is at 1500. You can't have it both ways.

I will try to find the jumbo frame info on the 708. I am sure I read it somewhere.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 31, 2013 at 7:25:46 pm

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/prosafe-plus-switches/XS7...

Alex - look at the LAST LINE of this page.

Jumbo frame support

bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 31, 2013 at 7:27:29 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Jumbo frame support"

Indeed, all that remains is to figure out how to enable / disable it... Unless it's on full auto.

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Oct 2, 2013 at 2:17:13 pm

Alex,

Just curious if you solved this issue on this switch.
It's my understanding from these that this is an unmanaged switch.
It's a small step up from the "web smart" 1GbE switches because it has a 10GbE combo port on it.

A lot of switches on the market have to support standards, but they are also not marketed with full proper support of certain standards. They "technically" support it...but it's like a built in package so to speak.

You're better off finding a Fully Managed L3 Switch that uses 1GbE with 10GbE switch.
I remember lots of problems with switches in general. Especially when 10GbE is involved...because things HAVE to work correctly, otherwise you'll have problems with support for Jumbo Frames, Flow Control, and Dynamic Link Aggregation, which is another good example of why it's important to make sure you're getting a switch, or the customer is getting a switch with proper support for these technologies and protocols.

I recommend the Small Tree 10GbE Switches.
Something like the STG-28T - STG-28T

When you put these switches against their counter parts, Small Tree performance and support for Jumbo Frames, Dynamic Link Aggregation, and 10GbE Flow Control comes out on top every time.....

I've sold switches from other companies before. The Small Tree Switches are the best 1GbE / 10GbE switch you can buy for a Mac Network.

I believe also if you're using Small Tree network adapters and drivers in the connections to the switch, you also see a performance boost to some degree.

Until these switches from Small Tree came out when 10GbE was on the rise, nobody elses switch worked right out of the box, and nobody elses switch supported Flow Control the way 10GbE requires it to be run properly.

Unless Small Tree says differently. Which I doubt they will.

Anyway, let us know how this worked out for you.

Matt Geier
651-808-1338
(Creative Product Evangelist)
(Technical Sales Consultant)
(Video Networking Solutions Consultant)
(Creative Design Workflow Consultant)
(Social Media Networks Consultant)

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Oct 2, 2013 at 2:21:11 pm

BTW --- If you want a benchmark test for bandwidth - Check out These tools from HELIOS --

LanTest for OSX - Bandwidth and Read/Write benchmarking

http://www.helios.de/web/EN/products/LanTest-OSX.html

Maybe look at EtherShare for the Macs, and PC Share for the Windows networks; Speed things up at the server on the network;

http://www.helios.de/web/EN/support/testdrive.html

I think you'll find that using HELIOS on your server significantly offers some increased speed performance over Ethernet....assuming the rest of the hardware will also allow it.

Matt Geier
651-808-1338

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Oct 2, 2013 at 6:33:51 pm

[Matt Geier] "LanTest for OSX - Bandwidth and Read/Write benchmarking"

Thanks Matt! I'll pass your post to my client. Not sure he still needs to do benchmarking for this project, but I am sure it'll be very useful at some point.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Oct 2, 2013 at 6:30:13 pm

Thanks Matt,

Both the client and I are big fans of Small-Tree; ended up getting quite a few Small-Tree PCIe and TB NICs.

The 10GbE Netgear switch works for the purpose though: a little more performance for not a lot of money. Any other 10GbE switch would be quite a bit more money, and thus unsuitable, i.e. the client would have stayed with plain vanilla GbE.

If it was anything mission critical, I am sure sure the client would have looked at Small-Tree switches, as well.

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Oct 2, 2013 at 7:03:16 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting back.
I like the feedback too!

- BTW - I'm not with Small Tree anymore. I should make that clear. Some folks know by now and some don't.

I am however still working on some angles staying in front of people that I work with. I still have tools and information I'm offering that others are not! :)

I realize that most of the products I recommend are pricey. I've dealt with those objections before. And I'm sure you have as well! :) We all have, frankly.

Some of these work for a certain purpose.
For real-time video, most of them suck.
For File Transferring over 1GbE, most of them are okay and do the job. Some don't do it well though.
For anything with 10GbE on it, that changes the whole scenario. As soon as someone sucks all the switch bandwidth up, everyone will feel it. - Give them time! :)

No worries.

I just find it funny sometimes, how folks go and spend 20K on a storage system, or 5K for a camera with Ethernet connectivity, but they want to spend 100 on the switch or networking and don't get full productivity out of what they have invested in. I like to avoid the imbalance people want to have, vs doing it right, and getting them what they will need now, and use later too!

I want to be helpful because of what knowledge I have and whom I work with that I can thank for the trainings I've received.

Don't take me the wrong way....I don't have the reputation like Bob Zellin, but I do consider him a friend like many here....and were all usually very honest and straight forward with the end users and customers and clients we all service and support here. Just all be it in different ways! :)

Catch ya later!

Matt Geier
651-808-1338

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]