Need advise for new 120 TB raid system

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurens de Groot
Need advise for new 120 TB raid system
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:08:39 pm

Hi all,

Yet another NAS question!

We currently have a 12-Bay 4TB Accusys (A12S2-ps) connected as DAS to a single computer, but need to add more space (don’t you just love RAW?) One option would of course be to purchase a new 16-Bay Accusys (A16S3-ps) and connect the 2 Accusys systems to a Dual HBA card.

But I would really like some expert advise:

- Would e.g. the new Synology RackStation RS3617xs+ work when using 2x 10GBE link aggreation ()

They claim a good performance.

The reason that I am leaning towards 10 GBE, is that we are a small office of 5 ppl, and we don’t use our editing system that often, so if we could benefit from a fast central storage like the Synology, that would be great.

Some facts:

- 1 new strong Editing PC ( i7-6900k with GTX Titan X), would be great to add another if we grow
- Currently have 48 TB in raid 6
- Would require an additional 120 TB in raid 6
- Primary use: Davinci Resolve 12.5 & Premiere CC (2017).
- Mainly work with 4.6k RAW (50p) from URSA Mini 4.6k @ 250 MB/sec
- Future wishes for LTO drive backup
- Just moved in this office, and have CAT6 everywhere, would only require a good (Netgear?) 10 GBE switch and 10 GBe Nic.

Or would we need to stay away from Synlogy and use the more common brands that advertise here? I love the fact that ProMax has a LTO drive, but they are out of our budget. Perhaps Areca Cineraid?

Our current budget: €15-20k for 120 TB Raid.

p.s. Office location: The Netherlands (Europe)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Need advise for new 120 TB raid system
on Nov 7, 2016 at 8:10:32 pm

As your data storage needs grow, RS3617xs+ can be connected to one or two dedicated RX1217/RX1217RP2 expansion units, allowing you to expand storage capacity up to 36 drives3 without disrupting service.

so I would not buy this model -
if you buy the 18016xs+, you can do this -
By supporting up to 14 Synology RX1216sas, RS18016xs+ provides the ability to seamlessly expand up to 180 drives and expand a single volume up to 200TB2 on the fly.

and don't forget your 10G card, and Netgear 10G switch. And if you need help, you know who to call.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Laurens de Groot
on Nov 7, 2016 at 8:54:15 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Yes, I saw the limit of 2 extra expansion units, and thought "if we reach that much capacity, let's buy another RackStation RS3617xs+ and create another volume/partition"

Only limit would be the ports on the Netgear Switch correct?
Main thing I liked about the above model was the fact it already has 2 x 10 GbE ports installed and 2 PCI options for 2 extra Nic's.

But the future readiness of the 18016xs+ makes it a serious candidate.
Any other Nas you would advise? Very open to suggestions. We're not looking to cheap out of this, even though we are not even editing full time.

Return to posts index

Duncan Beattie
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:11:10 am

Hi Laurens

I hope you do not think this too forward however we have, we think, exactly what you are looking for in FastNAS.

http://gblabs.co.uk/products/FastNAS_F_8_Nitro/

Happy to give you a remote demo of the software to help you design a workflow.

many thanks

Duncan

Duncan Beattie
VP of Product Management and Sales
GB Labs LLP
duncan (@) gblabs.co.uk
http://www.gblabs.co.uk

Return to posts index

Robert Broussard
on Mar 28, 2017 at 2:30:50 am

Bob, the specs on this Synology 18016xs seem far beyond the QNAP 871T NAS drives recommended for FCPx... have you deployed this model for a demanding group of Mac users? Since the Thunderbolt networking is unreliable in OS X, I suppose there is no reason to look for that feature unless it's the recommended way to add an expansion bay.

Thanks,

Robert

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 28, 2017 at 12:26:06 pm

I mention the QNAP 871T because it is cheap, and this allows people to buy it, and be assured it works.
Is the Synology RS18016xs+ a better unit - yes it is. But the QNAP TVS-EC1680U-SAS-RP-R2 is better than this
Synology model. And QNAP has newer (and less expensive ) models out that also surpass the RS18016xs+.
For example, the about to be released TS-1685, with 12 bays, up to 128 Gig RAM, 4 SSD Cache drives, free 10Gbase-T ports, and ability to add SAS 12G expander to add 5 more 10 bay RAID chassis. All starting at under $3000 US.

But is the Synology RS18016xs+ a great product, and a great financial deal - YES IT IS. I guess the real point here, is that these Chinese companies (not to exclude the new Netgear ReadyNAS series) are AMAZING, and all a fraction of the price of the traditional companies that we see at the NAB and IBC shows. These cheap products ALL WORK, and all work with all the software that we need for editing, graphics, color grading, etc. It's amazing.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Robert Broussard
on Mar 28, 2017 at 3:45:51 pm

Bob, the rack mount is very attractive. I'm not sure where I'm going to put a big box and another big box as a backup. The only negative thing about the rack mount is that they are often have a very noisy fan because the are designed for a data center machine room not a desktop and since heat is the enemy.

On the new 1685, it appears that the many card slots are empty and that it's 10g ready. And no graphics card but this can be added. I look forward to seeing what hits the market in April for NAB 2017!

Speaking of cheap, you're right! I was reading your post NAB 2016 article about the GRACK.... in my minds eye I kept seeing GCRACK... anyway, I liked most everything about it and enjoyed your review. Yet, the price was staggeringly high compared to the synology and QNAP offerings of today and where the performance of the 871T seems to be even faster than the GRACK, 900 vs 700 as I recall.

Thanks,

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]