FORUMS: list search recent posts

the new eSpace app vs. AJA Data Calc

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
the new eSpace app vs. AJA Data Calc
on Nov 3, 2016 at 5:30:17 pm

Hi -
I became aware of this free Apple App Store app, from the SAN Networks Forum on Cow.
eSpace is an IOS only app that is much more robust than AJA Data Calc. It lets you scroll thru
countless resolutions from NTSC all the way to 8K Red Full Frame, and everything in between, including
all the RED, Arri, UltraHD and Go Pro stuff, frame rates from 23.98 to 120 frames per second, and compression codecs that include AVID DNx, DPX, all the ProRes including 4444 XQ, and all the Redcodes.

Once you select what you are using it shows you instantly the bandwidth in both Mb/sec and MB/sec and lets
you easily calculate how many Terabytes you will use based on the amount of time (minutes, hours) of footage that you have.

With all the crazy formats and variations out there today, this is the most comprehensive tool that I have found.
And its FREE ! I just wish their was an OS X or macOS App store version I could download to an editing computer.

The only way I can figure out how to find this app, is by typing in the developers name - Alex Mcalpine, on the search window of your App store. If you type in eSpace, you see other products, but not this one.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Loshak
Re: the new eSpace app vs. AJA Data Calc
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:46:06 pm

http://www.apppicker.com/apps/1150396161/espace

Return to posts index

raj singh
on Nov 11, 2016 at 3:15:43 pm

BTW one thing which is cool about this app, is that you can calculate the storage bandwidth requirements for playing multiple codecs in parallel. Not sure if this is advertised or the guys at eSpace designed it to work like this, but this is good for when I need to figure out calculations like this.

For example if you wanted to confirm the storage bandwidth required to play the following streams in parallel,

12 streams of Pro Res Proxy, HD, 24 frames
12 streams of Pro Res HQ, HD, 24frames
2 streams of DPX 10bit RGB, UHD, 24frames

The answer is 1.8362 GB/s which is the at the bottom of the app or 1880.2 MB/s (1.8362*1024)

Tab 1

Choose codec Pro Res Proxy, HD, 24 frames
Press the "SEC" button and enter 12
Then press "MB" button
Total = 58.7MB/s

Tab 2

Choose codec Pro Res HQ, HD, 24 frames
Press the "SEC" button and enter 12
Then press "MB" button
Total = 265.5MB/s

Tab 3

Choose codec DPX 12Bit, UHD, 24 frames
Press the "SEC" button and enter 2
Then press "MB" button
Total = 1556MB/s

Return to posts index

raj singh
on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:18:21 pm

can be found here too https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/espace/id1150396161?mt=8 - its great app and free makes it a bonus, I am just waiting on the android version

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]