FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAS or local?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt chapman
NAS or local?
on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:19:17 pm

I am setting up post production for a larger production that I am used to, and will have up to three editing stations. Mostly we will work in Adobe Premiere, on the Windows or Mac side.

All the workstations are Mac Cylinders, which also run BootCamp to allow for the Windows environment when necessary.

I'd like to not have to utilize the network to open projects, as we are talking quite a lot of 2K footage. Is there a solution whereby we can access a storage unit (SSD Raid or some type of Array) locally via USB 3.0 or thunderbolt?

Thanks, any leads would be appreciated.

best,
matt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: NAS or local?
on Sep 25, 2016 at 5:05:33 pm

are you with MyM in London ?

bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Sep 26, 2016 at 4:51:23 pm

Hey bob - I'm not with MyM, is that relevant to the thread or are you just throwing it out there.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 26, 2016 at 8:31:29 pm

Hi -
there are lots of solutions out there. Everyone from AVID, Facilis, GB Labs, Maxx Digital, ProMax, Apace Systems,
QNAP, Small Tree, Synology, Studio Network Solutions, DDP, etc. I was trying to contact you to discuss the details of all of these. Every one of these products will do exactly what you want. They all vary in price, and features (like speed, and amount of storage).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:07:02 am

did this answer your questions ? Do you have any more questions ?

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:10:19 am

Hi Matt,

I may be misunderstanding your question... when you ask " Is there a solution whereby we can access a storage unit (SSD Raid or some type of Array) locally via USB 3.0 or thunderbolt?" That seems like you're looking for local storage, which there are a ton of great options out there. G-Tech and Lacie probably being the most popular.

Are you wanting it to be local for editing, then shared for something else? Also, as far as the 2K footage goes, that can really range all over the map as far as bandwidth requirements. What codecs/formats are the 2K files your shooting?

Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Best Regards,

Nathaniel Cooper
ProMAX Systems
nathaniel@promax.com

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:52:27 pm

We are working on an animation, and have 3 cylinders which will be accessing large (.TIF) sequences in 2K. For a 22 minute show there is about 250 GB of animation.

I'd like to have three cylinders which are right next to each other access one common drive, which should have very fast read/write speeds.

Our network is 10 Gbps, so if we want to do NAS I think we can. just depends on what's cheapest.

chap

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Sep 29, 2016 at 9:13:11 pm

Super helpful. So you're TIFF image sequences are pushing about 200MB/s, so if you have 3 workstations going, call it 600MB/s. It's decently heavy performance, but nothing too difficult for any half way decent solution.

There is no such thing as a thunderbolt drive that you can just plug 3 workstations into and share, you need a NAS/SAN file system to have multiple users share.

Simply announced an all thunderbolt based san with users connecting over TB, and using Xsan (stornext) on top to be the SAN management layer. That said, you'd still need to have a (completely separate) metadata network since it uses Xsan and IMO their solution adds an insane amount of complexity and limitations, but they are trying to go after a part of the market that doesn't want complexity and limitations.

NAS-wise, if you really enjoy messing with stuff, you can DIY your way into a home built NAS that should be able to keep up with 200MB/s. Focus on 10GbE connections and SSDs. Between you and me, use Promise SANlinks, not Atto. ATTO is the best of the best for Fibre Channel, but their 10GbE drivers are not great. Honestly this will be a lot of extra time and effort and you will get random facebook messages from Bob Zellin yelling at you "you're doing it wrong!!!". This is a good option if you ENJOY the struggles and triumphs of DIY.

One step up from that, which will work is a QNAP/Synology server. Solid products, low cost and good performance. They won't cost you much more than a DIY.

If you want to go beyond that you get into the fully managed solutions. Mine is ProMAX Platform and our whole deal is that we integrate Shared Storage + MAM + Backup/Archive into a single system. Cost wise it's a step up from a QNAP, but it is feature wise as well, so you just have to figure out what is best for your business now and over the next while.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions.

Nathaniel Cooper
ProMAX Systems
nathaniel@promax.com

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Oct 6, 2016 at 12:30:19 am

Nathaniel-
this was very very helpful. I will bring you guys up at our next meeting. The company I work for is a decently sized one, so I don't think we will need to go DIY-route.

I will keep you informed and hit you up if we want to request a quote.

Best,
Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]