FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smalltree, SNS, installation

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blaise Douros
Smalltree, SNS, installation
on Sep 19, 2016 at 9:29:28 pm

Hey all,
I'm at a small corporate in-house studio, looking at storage solutions for a two-seat studio, possibly adding two more seats in the next year or two. I've talked to my local systems integrator / pro video equipment provider, and they've put together a couple of quotes for an SNS-based system, ranging from $17K to $28K for a 16TB to 32TB system with support contracts, etc. I've also called up Smalltree and discussed my needs with them. So here's my dilemma: Smalltree's quote appears to be significantly better, including their support contract options. Like, 32TB for less than the cost of the lower-end 16TB SNS system I was quoted.

But I do like the idea of having local support, here in Northern California, where we don't have as many options as the lucky people in L.A. So the ten-thousand-dollar question, for those with experience in these matters:

How is Smalltree's remote support? And is it, in your opinion, sufficient for a producer like me who is no slouch at technological issues, but is not a network engineer? Should I really be prepared to justify a budget request with a $13K price difference between systems that appear to offer me similar capabilities? Or is my local supplier taking me for a ride, here?

My company is not averse to paying for the right product, as well as the support that comes with it. But I may be hard-pressed to justify the premium on the SNS-based locally supported system, versus the (apparently) higher bang for the buck that Smalltree has quoted.

Again, I am totally willing (and would prefer!) to include expert installation and support in my budget--I just don't know who does that locally with Smalltree hardware. Hopefully they can get me that info. And of course, since Bob is reading: Corky had lots of good things to say about you, and recommended that if I need help plugging things in, you should be my first call!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Smalltree, SNS, installation
on Sep 20, 2016 at 12:30:02 am

I would know nothing without Small Tree. They taught me everything. With that said, SNS makes very nice products.
Many of the companies that exist today, would not be here if Small Tree did not figure things out a long time ago.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Smalltree, SNS, installation
on Sep 20, 2016 at 4:36:59 pm

Bob, thanks for the response and for the call this morning. Your recommendations are spot-on for what we need. As usual, you're the guy with the answer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]