FORUMS: list search recent posts

Qnap Qtier automated-tiering storage

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Carbonneau
Qnap Qtier automated-tiering storage
on Aug 25, 2016 at 7:34:36 pm

I am setting up a Qnap TVS-1282T for our office. One of the features it offers is automated-tiering technology. The basic idea is the data that is used more frequently gets moved to faster drives while data that is used less often is moved to slower high capacity drives. Qnap describes it better here:

https://www.qnap.com/solution/qtier-auto-tiering/en/

In video production, we deal with such large files when working with HD and 4K material, I am wondering if people think this automated tiering would be beneficial or if the system is going to be spending a lot of time moving large files around. Thanks.

Victor Carbonneau
Director of Post-Production
Hey Guy Media
Dallas | Los Angeles | New England

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Qnap Qtier automated-tiering storage
on Aug 26, 2016 at 5:50:49 pm

I setup QNAP's all the time. I will hopefully be setting up a 1282 with the 4 SSD's very soon. Caching should make things faster, but the performance between standard QNAP's that do not have this feature (like the 871T or EC1680) are incredibly fast, with 10 G connections to clients over 600 MB/sec each. My 871T and EC1680 installs have no problems doing
4K and 6K editing (and of course 1080i editing) without issue. I am not po-poing the SSD cache - I think it's great.
Its what Facilis promotes with their hi end products. I simply have not tried it yet. You should be very happy with your QNAP. I responded to simply say that I have not found that the SSD cache auto tiering is not the miracle answer that makes a product like this work. It works just fine for 4K editing without it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Victor Carbonneau
on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:51:23 pm

Hey Bob,

Thanks. It's reassuring to hear your experiences. We are very excited about the new Qnap box. We played around with an 871T earlier this year and were impressed. This new box looks like it has even more to offer. It should serve us well for a long time. Thanks.

Vic

Victor Carbonneau
Director of Post-Production
Hey Guy Media
Dallas | Los Angeles | New England

Return to posts index

Travis Meck
on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:37:29 am

Hey Bob... Was looking at buying a few 1282's for our east coast and west coast facilities, really feel confident about that decision after reading your posts... You are very much appreciated by your fellow men in the trenches who know you put your heart into this and share your insights willingly for the rest of us to benefit from..

Thanks,
Travis Meck

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 29, 2016 at 3:49:35 pm

Hi Travis -
I have not heard from you in a long time !
Are you still in Florida ?
Just remember, that most of the systems I have installed are the inexpensive 871T, which works great
for most applications - especially if your ultimate plan here is just audio.

If you need any help, you know how to reach me.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Travis Meck
on Sep 13, 2016 at 6:23:00 am

Still In Fla, Still working for the same artist I had started with back in 2004 after the Soundelux dream came to an end... The other Project I think I contacted you about back in 2010 out in La and you pointed me to Bryson is still going on 6 years later. Was looking at the Qnap for Audio purposes here in Fl and dual stream 1080p simple FCP editing out in La yet utilizing.

Kinda overkill for Protools since it all cache's to system RAM but there has been some additional video editing falling into my Lap here as well that will grow I'm assuming and I would love to stop shipping archives of media off to the Accounting offices "Vaults" (closets) and utilize a QNAP TVS-863 over there to push incremental BU's to and have across towns a hot swap it push comes to shove on any serious down time, Plus Cloud service pushes for items needed while on the road and Plex Media server integration for all the Samsung Tv's onto Property... Seemed like a good fit all around

Still Utilizing 2010 MacPro 5,1 64gb 12 cores's since the cost to migrate HDX's PCI's to via external Sonnet didn't seem to be worth the expense for minimal performed enhancement, In the Box of course, Not in regard to external I/O options. Had planned on using the ATTO FastFrame NT12 Dual Port 10GBASE-T for connectivity to the Qnap along with Seagate Iron wolf's unless you have some experience that would deem that short sighted?

Thanks again of all you do,
Trav

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]