FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading our Infrastructure

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Moore
Upgrading our Infrastructure
on Jul 20, 2016 at 7:39:21 pm

We need to upgrade out infrastructure from the USB3 per machine system to a more robust one. I don't mind upgrading later but not rebuying later...

Here's our plans:

NETGEAR ProSAFE XS712T

with 2 Drobos connected via the Gigabit ports with Cat6 (I got a great deal and would rather have a Pegasus2 r8, an upgrade in the future)

cat6 to a sonnet Sonnet Twin 10G on each of the two MacPros 6,1

thunderbolt to machine

Am I on the right track? In lieu of many MANY more dollars is this a good starting point?

Ted

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Upgrading our Infrastructure
on Jul 21, 2016 at 12:54:55 am

the drobos won't work. Want to spend very little money ? Get a QNAP or a Synology with 10G ports.
Forget the Drobo's.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Edward Moore
on Jul 21, 2016 at 4:36:49 pm

Thank Bob... I had a sinking suspicion that those Drobo's weren't going to work.

We just got this morning Pegasus2 r4's and are planning on using them as "working drives" due to their speeds.

Would a Pegasus r6, with the Sonnet 10G boxes work as a connector to the switch? Thunderbolt --> cat6?

Ted

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 21, 2016 at 5:10:26 pm

you are not going to do shared storage with only 4 or 6 drives.
You need eight spinning disks. So you can use a Mac with a Promise R8, with a 10G interface, or
a QNAP with a 10G interface and 8 drives, or a Synology with a 10G interface and 8 drives. The 10G port goes to a Netgear 10G switch, and now you have a shared storage system.

The Sonnet box plugs into a Mac, not the promise R8. You need both the drive array and the 10G adaptor to act as a server on a Mac.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Edward Moore
on Jul 21, 2016 at 6:39:11 pm

Excellent!

Thanks Bob!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>