FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to share a NAS to a network it is indirectly connected to via a workstation

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Branson Destra
How to share a NAS to a network it is indirectly connected to via a workstation
on May 17, 2016 at 5:44:26 pm

Would anyone happen to know how to share a NAS that's connected directly to a workstation via 10Gbase-t NIC, to a network that is connected to the same workstation via a separate 1Gb NIC?

So basically the connection diagram would be NAS <--> workstation <--> LAN, with the workstation as the intermediary. I've mapped a volume on the NAS as a network drive, but there doesn't seem to be a way to right-click and share as with other volumes. In case it matters, it's the QNAP TVS-863+

Any ideas?

Best,
Branson

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: How to share a NAS to a network it is indirectly connected to via a workstation
on May 17, 2016 at 8:53:30 pm

1) take the 863+ 10G port and stick this into a Netgear XS712T switch ($1500 bucks).

2) plug ALL your computers into the XS712T switch.

Now everyone - 1G or 10G will have access to the TVS-863+.

easy easy easy. I install QNAP's all day long -

If you don't want to spend the $$$ on the XS712T switch, assign static IP addresses to all your computers (all different subnets), and plug in your 10G computer to the 10G port, and you now have two 1G ports that you can connect to two of your 1G client computers.

And you are done - three computers - no switch.

easy easy easy.

And if you now say "what the hell is this moron talking about - I have no idea of how to accomplish what he is saying" - well, you know what to do next.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Branson Destra
Re: How to share a NAS to a network it is indirectly connected to via a workstation
on May 19, 2016 at 2:23:41 am

Hi Bob,

Thank you for responding. We're currently saving up to budget in switch like the one you recommended. At the moment we only need to share this one NAS with a couple of pc's on the LAN. So your suggestion of assigning static IP addresses is an attractive solution in the meantime.

I might need some help with that, if you didn't mind. I understand in theory what doing that means, and I have an idea of where I need to go to configure it, but I've never done it before and wouldn't want to mess up other settings.

How would you recommend going about it?

Branson

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 19, 2016 at 1:19:44 pm

I guess you have to contact me, in that case.
bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Branson Destra
on May 19, 2016 at 3:39:12 pm

Outside of this message thread, you mean?
-Branson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]