FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP TVS-871T - Is this the best option for me?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Eidhagen
QNAP TVS-871T - Is this the best option for me?
on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:53:12 pm

Hi, I will be working with an edit assistant where we need shared storage.

We'll both be on mac using Premiere Pro, working in separate project files but same media. I've been looking at upgrading from my USB 3 drives for a while and it seems like Qnap TVS-871T is the perfect option for me.

If I go for this option which is above my first initial budget I would like to know:

Can I expand this so that I in the future have 4 editors, two on thunderbolt, two on 10 gbit Ethernet working with C300 HD footage at 50 mb/s 25fps?

Could I even have more than that if some users, like assistant, logger and more work on the 1 gigabit ethernet port?

Bonus question - Is it really loud?

Thank you for a great forum

/Andreas

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: QNAP TVS-871T - Is this the best option for me?
on Apr 7, 2016 at 12:51:48 am

Hi -
this is an excellent choice for you. the 871T can handle 4K Media without any issue for multiple computers.
If you only have a couple of users, you do not even need a switch. You just have to assign static IP address to your client computers.

You CANNOT hookup two thunderbolt computers. Thunderbolt networking does not work. The thunderbolt port is for DAS (direct attached storage) for one computer. The second port is a loop for other thunderbolt devices, not a second computer. Thunderbolt networking does not work. If you need four users, you buy the Netgear 10G switch for $1500.

If you need help, let me know. I do this all the time.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]