FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small temporary network storage solution for 2 edit stations

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Brandt
Small temporary network storage solution for 2 edit stations
on Mar 30, 2016 at 9:48:21 am

Hello all,

I've read many posts, blog, looked at videos about Network solutions and storage. I'm not an IT guy so I get the basics but its fairly confusing and I still need to find a solution that can be carried out. Maybe some of you can advise me.

I would like to find a temporary solution to connect two Macs in the same room, to a server to be able to share media. The goal is to share HD video media so two editors can edit, each separately, but at the same time using the same media.

We would be using Macbook pros, running on OS Yosemite or later, editing with Premier Pro CC. The media would probably be C300 MXF files at 50Mb/s or Sony's XAVC codec also 50Mb/s for HD for a Total of 2TB max of media.

There would be ingesting footage going on, at one work station as one editor may be working in the same time on the other, etc. The editors would have their own Premier Pro editing files but we would need a decent I/O speed nevertheless on the NAS.

Is there a solution out there that is fairly cheap and can be set up and run by someone who is not an IT expert ? I insist on the fairly cheap solution because this is a temporary set up for an event lasting two weeks only, not a studio set up made to last for years.

Thank you,
Alexandre

--
Producer | Filmmaker
Geneva - Switzerland
https://vimeo.com/channels/800406

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Small temporary network storage solution for 2 edit stations
on Mar 30, 2016 at 12:56:39 pm

you write -
"Is there a solution out there that is fairly cheap and can be set up and run by someone who is not an IT expert ? I insist on the fairly cheap solution because this is a temporary set up for an event lasting two weeks only, not a studio set up made to last for years."

REPLY - do you mean "is there something out there, that just plugs in, and instantly works, with no setup, so I don't have to pay anyone to help me". Answer - NO.

Get an old Mac Pro (borrow one from your friends, or rent one).
connect a drive array to it. plug computer # 1 into Ethernet port 1 on the Mac Pro. plug computer # 2 into Ethernet port 2 on the Mac Pro.
Assign a static IP on one subnet (getting too confusing ?) for computer # 1 and the eth1 port on the Mac Pro. Do the same for computer # 2 (and Ethernet port 2 on the mac pro). Turn on file sharing, and create user names for each computer on the Mac Pro (like "edit1" and "edit2") and assign these names in the file sharing menu. On your edit computer, click on GO> Connect To server, enter the IP, and it will connect. Do the same for computer # 2. Voila !
Shared storage.

But to repeat - if you think that there is a solution out there, like "can't I just stick 2 thunderbolt cables into a drive and it will just show up on both computers" - the answer is NO. And even in 2017, when Thunderbolt 3 comes out for Mac's, and "allegedly" thunderbolt networking will finally work, it will STILL not just plug in and instantly work.

You know, you could rent a system from a company, and have them help you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Alexandre Brandt
on Mar 30, 2016 at 2:43:48 pm

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate your help. I have a couple questions on what you propose.

1. You mention getting an Old Mac Pro as the server computer. Would that work with some other computer ? I know the Mac pro seems to have 2 Ethernet ports allowing to simply connect the two edit stations. If I use a computer than only has 1 Ethernet port and I use a decent Ethernet Hub would that work, or would it allow for more issues ?

2. What minimum OS system needs to run on the server computer ?

3. Do you have a link resources on how to "Assign a static IP on one subnet" ?

Any yes, I do know that you cannot plug two Thunderbolt cables in one drive. It’s a pity, and I look forward to the days when that technology is fully developed, working and reliable.

Finally, I could indeed rent a system like that and this is what I would do but: I live in Geneva, Switzerland so it’s not really easy to find a Mac a system like that for rental. And if by a miracle there is a service like that, then it would be way too expensive as everything here is very expensive making it just not possible for this type of production.

--
Producer | Filmmaker
Geneva - Switzerland

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 30, 2016 at 8:29:33 pm

Hi -
I will be insulting now, so I apologize in advance. It's nothing personal.

1. You mention getting an Old Mac Pro as the server computer. Would that work with some other computer ? I know the Mac pro seems to have 2 Ethernet ports allowing to simply connect the two edit stations. If I use a computer than only has 1 Ethernet port and I use a decent Ethernet Hub would that work, or would it allow for more issues ?

REPLY - if you have a Mac Mini, you can purchase a thunderbolt to dual port 10G adaptor, and assign each of those ports to your two client computers. These adaptors are typically under $600.

2. What minimum OS system needs to run on the server computer ?
REPLY - OS X Yosemite or El Capitan, just like any modern computer uses. My 2009 Mac Book is running El Capitan.

3. Do you have a link resources on how to "Assign a static IP on one subnet" ?

REPLY - no. You can do your own research, using google. Knowledge is achieved either with your own time and testing, or you HIRE SOMEONE (you pay them money). Why do expect someone to do this for you for free. If you do not want to hire someone to help you who is knowledgeable (any computer guy can do this for you), then you should put the effort out to do this.

Any yes, I do know that you cannot plug two Thunderbolt cables in one drive. It’s a pity, and I look forward to the days when that technology is fully developed, working and reliable.

REPLY - the only thing you look forward to, are the days where things just plug in and work, so you don't have to learn anything else, or pay someone to help you. Technology is fully developed working and reliable. Are you waiting for the days, where editing is SO SIMPLE that you can use a grade school child to do the editing for you, so you don't have to learn how to use Adobe Premiere, Resolve, Final Cut Pro or AVID MEdia Composer ? Are you waiting for the days that you can just point your CEL phone at your job, and get a beautiful shot, and then have a grade school child edit this for you for free, so that YOU get to keep all the money from this 2 week job ?
This is what freelance editors and freelance engineers are for. This is what freelance cameramen are for. This is what hire companies are for.

Finally, I could indeed rent a system like that and this is what I would do but: I live in Geneva, Switzerland so it’s not really easy to find a Mac a system like that for rental. And if by a miracle there is a service like that, then it would be way too expensive as everything here is very expensive making it just not possible for this type of production.

REPLY - I am sorry, but I am sure that if you did a simple google search, you would find plenty of rental companies that could provide you with a system.

look ! -
http://www.kftv.com/section/equipment-rental/country/switzerland

http://www.mandy.com/services.php?location=swit&internal=333b975538

I bet you all these companies could point you to the right company to get this equipment, and perhaps many of them would do this for you.
This is called HIRING A CREW, and doing a professional job.
It's what people do to earn a living

http://www.visuals-switzerland.net/en/

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Alexandre Brandt
on Mar 31, 2016 at 11:10:25 am

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, just looking forward to the days we can spend more time focusing on the creative results than fixing technical stuff.

It looks like you really have never been a producer. The client I'm developing this project is a 8 consecutive year customer and has been because I go out of my way to find creative solutions that fit the budget. Having a "we need to spend money everywhere fixing things attitude" will just reduce way down the types of customers, you can work with. There is a limit to what is doable I agree but flexibility nowadays is key.

Finally, the companies you found researching on the web, I know all of them and work closely with some of them. They rent camera, lighting and grip equipment not IT stuff. I will ask though if they have ideas who has servers for rent.

Thanks,
Alexandre

--
Producer | Filmmaker
Geneva - Switzerland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]