FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAS w/ RAID or Drobo NAS?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Newberry
NAS w/ RAID or Drobo NAS?
on Mar 19, 2016 at 11:21:36 am

Hi - I'm looking for a networked storage solution to put my old video editing products onto.

So... a standard NAS solution using RAID or a NAS Drobo are the 2 options that I can tell... Can anyone offer any advice on which is the better option and why? Or is there not much in it and it's simply a personal choice?

I'm not the most technically minded and I really like that Drobo is simple to add new drives to or when there's a hard drive failure it's easy to replace and no re-building takes place. But as I really don't know much about NAS and RAID that they seem more popular than Drobo systems, I wanted to see what the general consensus is.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: NAS w/ RAID or Drobo NAS?
on Mar 20, 2016 at 2:20:03 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/381/819

bottom line -
the Drobo won't work. Almost everything else, including every product you see here on Creative Cow will work.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Mar 21, 2016 at 1:54:24 pm

Bob

Thank you for your reply - very kind.

However, I don't think I was very clear so apologies. I don't want to edit from the NAS/Drobo - I simple want to store old projects - if I ever need them again I would drag them back to my edit drive.

I appreciate that may seem odd to some but I wish to do it because 1) I can't afford a top, edit-worthy NAS set up 2) I very rarely access old edit files and I'm about to purchase a new thunderbolt edit drive so may as well use that.

I just want it to back up. I want it to be future proof for 3 or 4 years at least but that makes it very hard to say how much space I'll require. Drobo - to a non-techy like me (I'm one of those annoying creatives who gets confused easily!) - allows me to update the drives with no scary 'could loose all my data' process. The same can be said for when a drive fails.

However, while that makes it sound like I love Drobo - I'm on here asking because I've only ever used Drobo (For personal storage) and there must be a reason why NAS with RAID is always recommended over Drobo (NAS).

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 21, 2016 at 6:43:55 pm

Drobo is a backup solution. So for your application it will probably work just fine.
You see negative comments about them from morons like me, because people try to use these as hi speed storage systems, or shared storage systems which they are not. the other brands, like QNAP, Synology, Netgear, Thecus make hi speed 10G systems that CAN be used for shared storage.

But if all you want it backup, the Drobo will work just fine for you.

And by the way - nothing is future proof. These companies all make sure of that, so you continue to keep spending money with them.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Mar 22, 2016 at 12:18:58 pm

Ha! Thanks Bob - very helpful and your info is much appreciated.

Totally agree about Futureproofing! I just mean future proof regarding capacity and a RAID system - to a non techy like me - gave me nightmares!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]