FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP 871T...Will it work for me?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan lakser
QNAP 871T...Will it work for me?
on Feb 12, 2016 at 5:06:56 pm

I am currently setting up a second location for our post house.
We have been working on Edit-Share for the past 7 or 8 years or so but I am considering using the QNAP 871T at our much smaller second location.

We mainly work in ProRes proxy format 1920x1080 @ 23.98
QNAP says the unit has a total throughput of 400mbps. At this format I should be able to achieve up to 10 streams (on paper).

Some additional information:
there would be 4 edit rooms. I will run new cables (cat7 or cat6a) from 3 edit rooms to one of the 4th room where our storage will sit.

a few questions I have:

1. Would the 871T be able to handle this, or should I be looking at something else?
(I am also considering a Small Tree TitaniumZ-5plus unit)

2. At ProRes Proxy resolution would connecting clients directly to at 1gbe suffice or should I be considering a 10gbe network using a Netgear XS712T?

3. Does connecting via thunderbolt as well as afp attached clients really work?

Appreciate any response or any other suggestions for a smaller shared storage environment.

I have also searched this section of the forum quite a bit about the topic.
I am familiar with most of the solutions outlined in this thread:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/375/117#118

I am mainly looking for specific info about the QNAP 871T unit. Is it worth pursuing, or is it something I should stay away from?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
Re: QNAP 871T...Will it work for me?
on Feb 12, 2016 at 6:48:18 pm

Jonathan,

Would love to talk about the QNAP and maybe even get them on the phone with us and we can see if that system will work for you. I personally think the QNAP would be a better than the Smalltree solution. SHoot me an email or call and we can discuss it further.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
bryce@maxxdigital.com
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

jonathan lakser
on Feb 12, 2016 at 8:11:34 pm

I am already in touch with QNAP about this.
I am curious why you think the QNAP would be a better solution than Small Tree though.

Thanks for responding.

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:22:50 pm

Jonathan,

1: Yes it will work.

2: You'll need 10GbE with the XS712T, which I can/will configure for best network configuration.

3: The thunderbolt port is ineed for direct connect and expansion. You can also simultaneously connect via CIFS/SMB and AFP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]