FORUMS: list search recent posts

SMB3 spotty on Yosemite / El Capitan?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Goldin
SMB3 spotty on Yosemite / El Capitan?
on Nov 20, 2015 at 9:21:44 pm

I'm having some trouble with disconnecting SMB3 shares on OS X 10.10.5 clients.

I have a FreeNAS server serving SMB3 via Samba.

I'm having trouble reliably reproducing the problem, but I'm wondering if anyone can speak to Apple's implementation of SMB3. Is it known to be spotty? Has it been improved at all in El Capitan? I'm in the middle of some projects, so I haven't upgraded to El Capitan yet, but I called Apple and they weren't helpful. Apple claimed that they had never heard of any issues with SMB3 being spotty.

Apple pointed me toward what seems to be an outdated Adobe support article about Photoshop performing poorly on network attached storage, with a recommendation to store project files locally. I've been working off of Premiere CC 2015 project files on my SMB3 shares. Keeping the Premiere project files on the shares can't be causing unpredictable disconnects, can it?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.htm...

I'm on a 10 GbE network, and Blackmagic Disk Speed Test can read and write to the server at 800 MB/s.

I found Thursby DAVE, and saw Bob Zelin's glowing testimonial. I'm wondering if the DAVE implementation of SMB2 can serve as a fast, reliable replacement for Apple's spotty SMB3 implementation.

http://www.thursby.com/use-cases/mac-enterprise-integration-collaboration

I'm just sort of shooting in the dark at this point.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Seth Goldin
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SMB3 spotty on Yosemite / El Capitan?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 6:01:06 pm

I used to use Thursby all the time, but then Apple fixed smb. I actually believe that they hired the programmer who worked for Thursby. Anyway, smb3 works wonderfully with both Yosemite Server and El Capitan Server. And almost 100% of my clients are now using CC2015 for everything, so I am not seeing any issues. And I get the same wonderful 10G speeds that you are getting.

So the only variable I can see in your system is FreeNAS. Try it without it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Seth Goldin
on Feb 12, 2016 at 8:56:38 pm

Just to follow up for any future readers, it turns out that my version of Samba on my FreeNAS box was badly out of date. Once I upgraded Samba to a good, modern version, my problems with SMB3 went away.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 14, 2016 at 5:14:14 pm

thank you for posting this.
I can tell you that I recently installed a 10G QNAP, and was connecting via SMB (SMB3 for Mac's with El Capitan and Yosemite).
Client would call me to complain that they would get random disconnects, like you were getting (they were blaming the switch, since it was happening on all client computers). I had them connect via AFP, and the problem was instantly gone.

I greatly value posts like yours, because if people dont' talk about this publically, you think that "its only you".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]