FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mobile Shared Storage Options

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Marcus
Mobile Shared Storage Options
on Oct 6, 2015 at 8:03:51 am

Hi guys,

I know this is the NAS forum, but any advice NAS or not would be helpful.

I often do event/convention shoots with same day edits. There are 3 editors in the same room who each bring their own machines (usually 1 2013 imac, 1 2010 macbook pro laptop, and 1 pc laptop-(with usb-3, not thunderbolt). But these sometimes change based on who is working.

We all work on the latest adobe CC, and the footage is usually dslr, or sony or jvc avchd files, at 35-50mpbs. We're each editing individual projects, but we are using the same footage at the same time. Even over 3 days the total storage needed is well under 1TB.

Media cards are constantly flying in, and we're copying each card to to each computer, and trying to somehow assemble a master folder at the end of the gig. It's not pretty.

What are my options to connect all three computers in a mobile shared storage configuration? We really don't need much storage space, and after each gig we can archive it to a different drive and free up space.

Can one computer plug into an external harddrive and the rest connect via ethernet to share? Will that be fast enough?

My budget is $3K or under.

Thanks ahead of time!

David
Shoot. Edit.

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
Re: Mobile Shared Storage Options
on Oct 6, 2015 at 8:06:07 pm

David,

I am more than happy to help. Give me a call and we can find something that will fit your budget and needs. We make a NAS here at Maxx Digital that I believe will fit your needs and budget.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Mobile Shared Storage Options
on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:30:35 pm

no matter what you buy, if you don't have 8 drives running together as a RAID, your system will never be fast enough to support 3 users trying to share ProRes media at the same time.

you ask -
Can one computer plug into an external harddrive and the rest connect via ethernet to share? Will that be fast enough?

answer - no. You can buy a small NAS system (remember, 8 drives minimum), and you can accomplish what you want. But you need a switch (and not a $50 switch from stables) to distribute to your 3 users. And who is going to set this up for you ? Will they do it for free ? Are you looking for advice on "what box can I go out and buy, just plug in my 3 computers, and I am instantly sharing all the media on the drive, without any complex setup" . Well, that doesn't exist. So the answer is - NO, you can't pull this off for $3000 at the end of the day.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]