FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connection to server freezing and dropping during playback

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stepan Ko
Connection to server freezing and dropping during playback
on Jun 16, 2015 at 4:47:01 pm

Hello all

I've got a curios problem happening with our server connection. Whilst playing back footage in premiere pro or davinci resolve, the viewer occasionally freezes for a good 10 seconds, after which it either unfreezes and continues to work, or crashes the connection and i have to reconnect. The software does not freeze up, I can navigate around it but I can't play any files neither in the media pool nor in the timeline.

This happens randomly, but I think It mostly doesn't like fast scrubbing through the timeline. The interesting bit is that this is not dependant on the amount of people working on the server or the complexity of the project in either premiere or davinci. The behaviour is the same both during the day and in the evening when there is no one apart from me accessing the server. It's the same both on a complicated timeline and on the simplest one.

I haven't tried it on copper but have tried it on the two different machines connected via fibre and the behaviour is exactly the same.

Both machine running Mac OS X Mavericks, connected via a solarflare fibre cards to a NETGEAR GS752TXS switch that is connected to a Dell Power Edge R720 server again via solarflare fibre cads.
Other specs:
Server Hardware: Dell Power Edge 720 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz - 32GB RAM
VM running Shared directories: Centos 7
File Sharing Protocol: SMB

I know it's a bit complicated to say when you don't see the settings of the setup but does anyone have any clue to why this might be happening?

Thank you for all your feedback

Stepan

Return to posts index

Stepan Ko
Re: Connection to server freezing and dropping during playback
on Jun 16, 2015 at 5:06:37 pm

Forgot to mention that the read and write speeds to the server are around 600 MB/s so that really can't be an issue.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Connection to server freezing and dropping during playback
on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:45:08 pm

1) the GS752TXS is a 1GbE switch, with 10G uplink ports. This means that your Solarflare 10G card (not Fiber card) is connected to the 10G uplink port on the GS752TXS. Unless you are going to ONE computer in the other 10G port on the GS752TXS switch, you can only get 100 MB/sec, not 600 MB/sec.

2) so let's say that you are plugged into the other 10G port on the GS752TXS switch - and you are getting 600 MB/sec, but getting drop frames. The problem is your project .

While I have never done this with a Dell Server (only with Mac servers), I strongly suggest that you create a NEW project, and playback some isolated single clips in Premier from the client computer, and see if you get the system to lock up.

Why are you running VM Ware for this ? Win 7, Win 8 or Mac OS is all you need.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]