FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEWBIE - Looking to setup Video Network

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Snyder
NEWBIE - Looking to setup Video Network
on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:14:40 am

Hi All,

Been searching through posts and I get very confused. So I figure I would ask. We are just now coming into the 21st century and don't understand all the in-n-outs of this NAS stuff and how to set it up.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but I want to do it as right as I can within a reasonable amount of cash. I have read enough to know I should probably be looking at 10Gbps switch and nic cards.

I have been looking at the Netgear XS712T Switch. This is where I get confused. Do I really need a server to attach an NAS drive. I think this router has 2 fiber ports. Couldn't I spend some more cash and attach a drive directly to this switch?

I have (2) spare 8-core mac pro's (not trash can) sitting around that could be a server if need be. But is that needed? We really only run 2-4 streams of ProRes LT at a time, we don't do any heavy lifting of 4K of uncompressed. Everything we do runs out to DVD, I know its ancient, but we haven't figured out a better way to deliver to our clients.

This configuration would be a simple file server to maybe 4 workstations to edit and crunch basic video. The LT is 1280X720 60p mostly, however, we are starting to convert over to 1080i on some projects.

Any thoughts or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. As I said, not completely constrained by cash, but do need to make it workable to my wife still gets in bed with me at night.

Return to posts index

Ryan Ackland
Re: NEWBIE - Looking to setup Video Network
on Apr 7, 2015 at 6:33:06 pm

Hi Tim,

Maxx Digital provides simple, cost effective, reliable storage systems that I could get you further educated on if you would like. Please feel free to give me a call at 714-374-4944 or shoot me an email at ryan@maxxdigital.com and I'd be glad to help!

Hopefully I can assist you, Good luck Tim!

Ryan
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 7, 2015 at 11:52:00 pm

Hi Tim -
yes you need the Netgear XS712T
yes you need the Mac Pro as a server
and yes, you need some more stuff -
and no, those are not fiber ports on the XS712T

once you start making money with multiple systems, your wife will not only still get into bed with
you at night, but she will be tearing your clothes off

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Olivier Jean
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:28:14 am

Classic !!

We know what Bob has been doing at night of late ....

Regards
Olivier Jean
Video Sales Consultant
Apple Certified Trainer Final Cut Pro 7
Powermedia Systems
Sydney Australia

Return to posts index

Christopher Gomersall
on May 15, 2015 at 6:02:48 pm

Bob and his team at MAXX are cool genius' that have forgotten more than most of us will ever know. If he says do it, do it and save time AND $$$.

Kind regards,
Chris Gomersall
http://www.vimeo.com/channels/texasvideopro
http://www.youtube.com/upstairsmedia

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 27, 2015 at 11:57:16 pm

Tim Snyder -
you either work for Power Play Design, or Joy Global in PA.
All of my competitors and myself are trying to hunt you down, and you will not respond to ANY of us. Do we have to show up at your house, and kidnap your dog ?

Please respond before we get arrested.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]