FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAS remote server

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Beyer
NAS remote server
on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:52:19 am

Hi Creative Cows

I´m working as an editor / shooter doing online/ blended learning and event type videos and interviews
for a number of faculties.

We seriously need shared storage for editing, reviewing, finishing and collaboration and I recently tested danish brand called NaStar, I was quite impressed and to my preripheal knowledge it resembles Small Tree´s NAS storage, comes in different storage sizes and number/ bandwith of clients (1/4/10 gb respectively)
and is based on the same filesystem.

I have presented the result for the IT-department at the University and they are planning to design/develop a large fast centralized network based storage system based on the same file system and promise networkspeeds in excess of 10 gigabit. 40 gb even 100 gb is no problem.
They have no previous experience with video postproduction so I advised them to consult experienced professionals within the field and I am asked to test a socalled "Proof Of Concept" beginning of August and in relation to this I have a couple of questions:

Have any of you people experienced a working systems that fit the above description ?
What should one look out for when doing a preliminary test on a system like this and is it possible to make a "quick" test on a system thats on the drawing board ?

I apologise for these rather unspecific questions but I would appreciate some pointers in the right directions. Thanks in advance.

Lars Beyer
Editor/Shooter

We are currently 2 to 3 editors,(Adobe Premiere,Adobe AE on Mac and PC, FCPX & Motion on Mac.
1-2 motion graphics designer(s)and various people reviewing material as well as shooting and editing from time to time. Computers range from new Imac, Areca 8 bay Thunderbolt in raid 5, to Macbook Pro with slow portable Usb 3 drives.
Codecs are XDCAM EX / AVCHD for shooting, Prores 422 8 bit/ 10 bit, 1920x1080p & 1280x720P for the archive.
Various h264 flavours for upload.
Backup on slow ethernet remote storage.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: NAS remote server
on Jul 18, 2014 at 7:09:11 pm

I am very confused by your post. I am sure that NaStar in Denmark would be thrilled to give your
university a demonstration of their product. Small Tree is a well established product, that works in countless facilities, that does shared storage for the video industry.

So if you like NaStar, and you like Small Tree, why not buy one of these products. If you want proof of concept, why not ask NaStar for a demo of their system ?

exactly what does your university what to know ? If they can have their IT department build it themselves, without having to purchase a system from NaStar of Small Tree, or another of the countless companies that build professional shared storage systems for the video industry ?

I can only give you one pointer in the right direction. Tell the IT department at the university, that if they try do to themselves, they will fail. Purchase a product from a company that knows how to do this (you already suggested two companies), and you will have a working system, without any issues. If the IT staff wants to show how smart they are, and show how much money they can save the university by doing it themselves, they will fail, and you will have an expensive mess on your hands. There are lots of companies that do shared storage systems for the professional video industry, and your IT staff is not among those companies.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Lars Beyer
Re: NAS remote server
on Jul 19, 2014 at 1:03:00 pm

Hi Bob

Thanks !

I understand the confusion, my mistake, though the last paragraph of your reply nailed it spot on:

[Bob Zelin] "I can only give you one pointer in the right direction. Tell the IT department at the university, that if they try do to themselves, they will fail. Purchase a product from a company that knows how to do this (you already suggested two companies), and you will have a working system, without any issues. If the IT staff wants to show how smart they are, and show how much money they can save the university by doing it themselves, they will fail, and you will have an expensive mess on your hands. There are lots of companies that do shared storage systems for the professional video industry, and your IT staff is not among those companies."

I will (try) to act accordingly.

Regards

Lars Beyer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]