FORUMS: list search recent posts

so, what did you think of GB Labs Space at NAB 2013 ?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
so, what did you think of GB Labs Space at NAB 2013 ?
on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:01:27 am

since this is really the GB Labs Space forum, any comments on how GB Labs did at NAB, with their
enormous booth ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Richard Milner
Re: so, what did you think of GB Labs Space at NAB 2013 ?
on Apr 20, 2013 at 6:16:53 am

I ran into a GB labs rep in an elevator in my hotel. Long story short, I'm looking for shared storage and was sure I'd be going with a SAN.

I have 3 active edit seats (PrPro) and an art and sound station-all mostly using 35mbit/s data streams. Most times not more than 2-4 streams per edit station. I anticipate doubling those numbers in the next 2 years.

So I looked at Facilis, Tiger's Tbox, and Dynamic Drive Pool as well as GB Labs. Now, I await more data. They were selling GB Labs on total cost of ownership when compared to a SAN. One reseller prefers Facilis in their installs. Tiger was touting how they have been dealing with everyone else's hardware, so they know what all the problems are. Ddp value proposition was a cost- simplicity thing. ID love some feedback from actual price-performance observations.

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:55:30 pm

End user here (not a sales guy).

It seems your requirements are fairly low in terms of bandwidth. Are you on Mac or PC? How much shared storage do you need?

Facilis, GB Labs, etc are probably overkill for you, but worthy solutions if you have the money, as they probably are more "complete" solutions with support, etc.

For cheaper solutions that could do the job well, check out Maxx Digital's Final Share or ProMax.

IMO you don't need a SAN for those small requirements, get a NAS, but make sure it's built properly.

Return to posts index

Richard Milner
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:58:17 pm

>Are you on Mac or PC?<
Right now All PC
>How much shared storage do you need?<

Thinking about starting with 16TB, but it needs to be expandable

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:52:38 pm

you really need to ask your questions on the SAN network forum. I am reading this on the Facilis forum (which is a GREAT company !) - but it is unfair to rant about my system on their forum. Please post on the SAN networks forum, and I will respond to your questions.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]