FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAS & OSX Mavericks

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Heuer
NAS & OSX Mavericks
on Mar 6, 2014 at 8:19:55 pm

Hello. I finally got a mac at work and am trying to keep it connected to the network drive I have all of my projects on.

I connected using the smb prefix and had issues with the folder I mapped disappearing while I worked in programs like Photoshop or Dream Weaver. I found posts saying to use cifs instead of smb because smb2 in Mavericks is buggy.

I re-connected with cifs, but the drive will still disappear and when I re-start the Mac, the drive does not mount right away even though I added it to the Login Items under Users & Groups Settings.

Our IT guy does not like Macs and isn't being very helpful. I know almost nothing about networking, but am a fast learner.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: NAS & OSX Mavericks
on Mar 8, 2014 at 5:23:40 pm

Would Thursby Dave work?

Caveat: I've never used it

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Mar 8, 2014 at 6:03:45 pm

I had never heard of it, but will check it out.

Thanks

C

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Mar 9, 2014 at 3:53:27 pm
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Mar 9, 2014 at 3:54:58 pm

Dave is a third party SMB/CIFS client for Mac. Its a good suggestion because it will no doubt clear up any issues you are having with the native implementation of this stuff. Apple seem to really trip up on this.. have done for years.

Version 11 is now available for Mavericks, which I use it all the time over here. Also they do a free trial, so you don't need to spend anything to test it out.

That said its not quite as responsive as AFP, but it should be close.

--
+447961751453
github.com/indiestor
indiestor.com - "Avid project sharing, shared!"

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Mar 9, 2014 at 5:19:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I have always worked locally so networking a Mac is very… different for me. I have a lot to learn!

I will download the test version first thing Monday.

Any recommendations on good places to learn networking basics? I'd like to be able to speak and ask questions with a bit more understanding of what I am working with.

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Mar 10, 2014 at 1:11:31 pm

Been looking around a bit more, does anyone know if this command line solution is a good idea? Especially for a novice like me? (I am pasting this in from another site).

"To do this you'll need to create a nsmb.conf file in your home directory with the path ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf. There are several ways to do this. First, you can up a terminal from Utilities and paste in the following line from the shell prompt:

echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

The above must be entered as a single line with a return at the end."

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:26:59 pm

As long as you understand how to revert the change to this command in case it makes things worse, I wouldn't do it. It means editing the nsmb.conf file and removing the two lines that this command adds.

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:43:44 pm
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:45:20 pm

If the instructions are to be believed you have to create nsmb.conf in Mavericks. Indeed my laptop didn't have it out of the box. As such I imagine reverting should be as simple as removing it again:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

Its a bit of a hack in my opinion.

At least with Dave SMB the machine should behave itself in a predictable manner.

--
+447961751453
github.com/indiestor

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:30:30 am

you cannot run Thursby DAVE with OS X Mavericks. Thursby DAVE worked up to OS X 10.8.5. That's it.

SMB works just fine and dandy with Windows PC systems. I do it all the time. CIFS is the same as SMB, and the default SMB in Mavericks is SMB2 (not CIFS which is SMB).

If you are using a PC server, on the Mac, simply assign your STATIC IP address on the same subnet as your PC server (and make sure you have the right subnet mask set). When you set this (and click Apply in the Network settings of the Mac), then go to terminal, and type in "ping 192.168.255.21" or whatever the server IP address is. Your IT guy knows exactly what this means, and can help you with this. IT's the same thing on Mac's, PC's, and Linux systems.

If you are able to ping, then you can connect.

You click on GO> Connect To Server> and type in
smb://192.168.255.21
or whatever the IP address is of your server. It will ask you for the name and password that your IT guy has you assigned in the server. You enter this info, click on CONNECT, and you are in.
End of story.

There is no reason to type in
cifs://192.168.255.21
because you will connect with SMB, and not SMB2.

Unless your IT guy is a lazy piece of doodie, there is no reason that he can't fully understand all of this within one hour. The Mac network stuff is very easy, and for an experienced IT guy, it will require nothing for him to do this, and be an "expert" on Mac's in no time. But because it's so easy, you can do it yourself. Just follow my instructions.

You can do the reverse as well. If you want to use your Mac as the server, just go into SHARING and turn on File sharing. Assign a "shared folder" (any folder on your computer) and assign a User - (you pick a user from the user list you created in Users and Groups) - then assign Read/Write access. Click on OPTIONS and make sure that SMB is ENABLED (checked) for that user.
Now go to a PC, and type in (in the run command) -
\\192.168.255.21\thenameofyoursharedfolder
and in 15 seconds it will connect. Just enter your name and password that you created on the mac, and the PC will now connect to the Mac. Now you can map the network drive, by right clicking on it.

As long as you know all the IP addresses involved (your IP address on your Mac, and the IP address of the server) all of this will work out just fine.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Mar 12, 2014 at 2:41:42 am

Thanks Bob! I do know the server is Unix and the file share is set up SMB ( I think that's what he said, I get much longer answers from IT than I need).

I have been seeing a lot online about SMB2 being buggy in Mavericks so you should force an SMB1 connection.

We are connected, but it always takes a minute after restart before it connects and then drops randomly throughout the day.

I will go through your instructions thoroughly and give it a shot... Let me know if the Unix server would change anything in your instructions.

Thanks again!

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 3:46:47 am

Hi -
Chris Murphy knows much more about Linux servers than I do. I know nothing about Linux servers, so I cannot answer any questions accurately about this subject.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:34:59 am

Mucking with configuration files without understanding the problem isn't a good idea. It's like throwing spaghetti at a wall. Yeah you might resolve the current problem, but then end up with some other problem, or at least a mess. Certainly the IT guy needs to see the relevant server and client logs, to get some idea why the two are becoming disagreeable after the handshake.

It's entirely possible the two are already negotiating an SMB 1 connection, and yet are still having a problem. It's possible the Linux Samba server is configured to deny falling back to SMB 1 so the problem may get worse by making unfounded changes. So ask him what sort of bribery is required to get him to look at server and client logs and suggest the next steps to get to a stable connection. At some point you could let him know that if he gets into a bind and prefers to configure Samba on OS X instead of using Apple's homebrew, a relatively recent Samba 3 source for OS X is available at Macports. That means all of the hard work of getting the source code to compile on OS X is already done. You "only" have to install macports (free), and XCode (free), and learn how to use the ports command (non-obvious but not overly difficult) to download the source and compile it, and optionally create an installer package for deployment on multiple machines.

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:06:48 am
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:47:00 am

[Bob Zelin] "you cannot run Thursby DAVE with OS X Mavericks. Thursby DAVE worked up to OS X 10.8.5. That's it.
"

Thursby do Dave version 11 for Mavericks. I'm running it in right here ;)

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave

--
+447961751453
github.com/indiestor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]