FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac users - just imagine this scenario with our Transcode/Encode Module

COW Forums : ProMAX Platform

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Mac users - just imagine this scenario with our Transcode/Encode Module
on Jan 10, 2013 at 3:45:17 am

Imagine one of your editors finishes a 60-second spot, or a 1-hour program - he or she outputs a self-contained QuickTime right out of FCP, which takes just minutes in either case, even on an underpowered Mac tower.

The editor drops that file into a watch folder on their desktop – that watch folder is one of many we have previosuly set up on every editor’s desktop in your facility, and that watch folder is waiting for a file, which when dropped initiates one or more events.

In this case, our transcode engine initiates one encode to h-264, one to MPEG-2, and one to WMV. The editor meanwhile gets right back to work on the next project on his Mac while the incredibly powerful Platform 16-core server is busy doing all the heavy lifting, with all files "cooking" simultaneously on our optimized engine, spreading the load optimally among all 32 of the server’s virtual cores.

When it’s done, Platform is programmed to email the editor to let him or her know the encoding is complete, it sends an approval copy to the producer, and/or possibly FTPs one or more files to the client, etc., etc., etc. The possibilities are endless.

If you want to know more about ProMAX Platform contact me and I'll be happy to answer all your questions.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Mac users - just imagine this scenario with our Transcode/Encode Module
on Feb 2, 2013 at 4:50:01 pm

Platform seems very exciting.
Can you explain the difference between the X, Y and Z chassis.
I assume that Y and Z cost more money for a reason.
I can only assume that one of them has the h.264 render engine in it.

Please explain -
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Mac users - just imagine this scenario with our Transcode/Encode Module
on Feb 2, 2013 at 9:26:19 pm

Hey Bob,

Unlike most traditional shared storage networks (SANs), which typically use lower powered servers (because they can), ProMAX Platform is a "modular server system" that utilizes today's very powerful dual Xeon Intel processors. This allows ProMAX to add additional modules to our Platform servers, giving our server systems far greater capabilities than traditional SANs.

The difference in price between X, Y, and Z is a combination of the power of the Xeon procs, which is different in each model, as well as the capabilities of the server software on those models.

Platform Z utilizes the most powerful processors Xeon processors availalble, running on our most powerful server software, making it the ideal Platform for those who require all of our modules (Share, DAM, Transcode with more to come), with the very highest levels of performance.

Platform Y utilizes our mid-tier Xeon procs, and it is also capable of running all of our modules, but with a little less power, and at a slightly lower cost.

Platfform X meanwhile is our lowest cost server, for those who require only the Share Module. Unlike the Y and Z Platform servers, which can easliy be uprgaded to include additional Platform modules after the initial deployment, Platform X is limited to running the Share Module only.

FYI, our Share Module, running in all three of our servers, is easliy and highly scalable, accommodating up to 256Tb of shared storage at this time. Customers can start with only 16Tb of shared storage today, and are later able to easily expand by adding additional chassis, in capacities of 16Tb, 32Tb, 48Tb, or 64Tb, increasing capacity as their needs grow.

I hope this helps. If you or others here want to know more about Platform, please contact me at my email address below and I'll be happy to provide you with additional information.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]