FORUMS: list search recent posts

Abraham, are you here?

COW Forums : Test Posting Code Here

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Jeremy Garchow
Abraham, are you here?
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:47:22 pm

If so, please respond to my next post (not this original post) as I need to show you something.

Make sure you are subscribed to this thread via email.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: Abraham, are you here?
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:58:47 pm

Hello Jeremy.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:35:25 pm

Hi.

I'm going to delete the last few posts, but keep the original.

Note that you will be able to respond to this post, but you won't see it on the cow, and your response will be deleted as well. Anyone that was subscribed to the thread can respond and get response emails, but the posts themselves are in the ether.

You can see them, however, if you choose to sort the forum by newest posts.

It's seems a little odd.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:36:42 pm

But this post won't show up.

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:45:03 pm

Hello Jeremy,

Yes, I am aware of this. Orphaned posts are disconnected from the main thread, this is one of the down sides to allowing users to delete their own posts. The logic is, responses to posts which have been deleted are orphaned because the lineage of responses are no longer connected to the original post and become out of context. However, these individual children posts are still able to be accessed directly, as they may still be pertinent by themselves. Allowing users to delete their own posts, and deactivating posts within threads creates this problem.

I see two possible changes which may help with the confusion, but have negative aspects as well:
1) Automatically deactivate all child posts off of a post which has been deleted or deactivated. This cleans up the issue with orphan posts still showing up in certain views, but may remove helpful content.
2) Remap all orphaned posts onto the ancestor thread. This keeps all posts in the thread even after being orphaned, but the conversation then may be confusing, as posts have been removed from the middle.

The mechanism which currently exists, and has existed for many years, is in place because of the drawbacks above.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:58:47 pm

I think that if a post is deleted, it should keep the thread as is, but that post simply says "deleted" by "deleted".

This keeps the structure in place, does not delete child posts, and I think people will be smart enough to figure out what happened as there's a but of a "paper trail".

Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:22:33 pm

Thank you for the suggestion Jeremy. You should begin seeing the "Post removed" message around the site now. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:53:02 pm

Love it!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:36:20 pm

And poof. There are all gone.