FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best computer for DaVinci

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
Best computer for DaVinci
on Dec 8, 2013 at 1:19:48 am

Time for me to by a third computer in my studio.

What would be best for my 2.5 k RAW BMCC footage. and to finally run
DaVinchi without problems (it is not opening on any of my computers including my labtop.

I thought an i7 3.2 or so with 24 gigs of RAM...

have no idea what video card, as this is important I understand for Devinci to be able to open.

But any tips will be very welcome...

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Best computer for DaVinci
on Dec 8, 2013 at 4:15:41 am

Your computer's GPU is a very important factor in running Resolve. The more GPU power, the better it will run. I'd consider the new Mac Pro. It has 2 very powerful GPUs. You might want to wait and see how it performs. It's supposed to be released this month. You'll need a Blackmagic IO to output video to a grading monitor.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:37:39 am

Thank you, very good tip.

And for desk top compuyer, what would be the best. I didnt plan on a Mac.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:43:15 pm

I'm not familiar with high-power PCs, but if you add 2 NVIDIA GPUs, the MacPro is probably less expensive and potentially much more powerful.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:54:12 pm

What editing software are you currently using. What computers do you already have? Do you have a high capacity, high speed RAID?

Realistically, if you are not already in a Mac based configuration, I would not recommend moving to one just for this. To maximize compatibility of your workflow I would look towards the HP Z 820 workstations. Dual graphics cards are best. Look towards NVIDIA Quadro if you want the speed. You want one to run the GUI and one to run the actual color correction. For highest performing output you will want the Blakmagic Design DeckLink 4K Extreme.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 9, 2013 at 8:26:26 pm

[Matthew Sonnenfeld] "To maximize compatibility of your workflow I would look towards the HP Z 820 workstations. Dual graphics cards are best. Look towards NVIDIA Quadro if you want the speed."

Hi Matthew,

I haven't configured a Z820 specifically for Resolve yet... Do CPUs matter? If there appreciable benefit in, say, dual 12-core CPUs (along with good GPUs) for Resolve purposes? What about memory, is there a sweet spot? Also, is that sweet spot calculated on a per-core basis (like with AE, about 4GB per phys core), or more of a system-wide thing?

I realize it all depends on workflow specifics (resolution, codecs, etc.) - looking for some general guidance.

Thanks!

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Dec 13, 2013 at 9:35:18 pm

With the current configuration limitation of the coming Mac Pro, it definitely cannot have more processing power than PC options since there are no Dual Xeon options and no option to clock at higher frequency. Open CL currently does not perform as well as CUDA because the memory management has not been refined nearly as much. Since Davinci will use any threading available for most codecs used with that application and Nvidia has better performance I would not suggest a coming Mac Pro when centered around Davinci. Keep in mind Blackmagic people are continuing to recommend the Titan cards over any others right now.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]