FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying Lens For BMCC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
Buying Lens For BMCC
on Nov 24, 2013 at 4:48:13 am

I am planning to upgrade and get the 4K ef when it is out.

So I hope all accessories of my 2.5 k ef will fit...

So if I buy a lens for my 2.5K It should be a full frame lens??

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Buying Lens For BMCC
on Nov 24, 2013 at 3:12:27 pm

Hi Ali - as with the Super 35 sensor in the Canon C300, some crop sensor EF-S lenses may cause vignetting with the Super 35 Blackmagic Production Camera 4K. To quote Canon's warning on their Cinema EOS FAQ page regarding the Canon C300, "there may be some visible vignetting with certain EF-S lenses".

I would buy full frame glass, if I were you.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Nov 24, 2013 at 8:34:07 pm

Thanks for the advice,

Like the L serie canon is full frame? full frame will work fine on my 2.5K BMCC as well? because thats what I have now, untill the 4k is released...

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 15, 2013 at 8:39:02 pm

While you can buy compatible EF or ZE lenses for both cameras, the BIG issue will be achieving the desired composition at a given subject distance. And for that you usually want a variety of lenses of different focal lengths to give you flexibility when you are shooting. The BMCC with it's APS-C sensor really benefits from shorter lenses. The 4K Production camera..not so much.

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
MAC 8 core
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:05:16 pm

Thank you.

But will a full frame ef lens be of less quality on the 2.5k, then on the 4k?

I have the 2.5K but plan to buy the 4k when its released, so I am thinking of buying full frame lenses for my 2.5 k so that I can also use them later on the 4k cam.

But only if the full frame ef lenses give the same quality on the 2.5 k as cropped lensses. I mean if there is no disatvantage.

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:19:46 pm

As I understand it EF-S lenses don't work on FUll frame sensors. Full frame EF series lenses should be downwardly compatible with APS-C sensors that are in the Blackmagic 2K cinema camera.

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
Premiere Pro
DaVinci Resolve 9.0
MAC 8 core
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Sony HD Cameras
24' Camera Crane with Motorhead
8' jib arm
20K watts of lighting
Multitrack audio
Teleprompters
Grip Truck/trailer
Location video monitoring
Door and hood mounts
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:35:46 pm

The 2.5 k will only use the center of the full frame lens as the 4k will use the full lens.

So if u would have both cams at the same shoot with the same full frame lens the 2.5 k would have to stand much further away then the 4k to get the same image.

So they will both work, but will the full frame lens on the 2.5 k give any other disatvantages then having to stand further away? Like more grain or more noise, or less sharp the cropped lenses?

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 16, 2013 at 2:35:35 am

Any difference in quality should be indistinguishable when both are using full frame lenses. But you probably will need a shorter lens with the 2K Cinema Camera.

Richard Martz
BrikPower Batteries exlusively for Blackmagic Cinema Camera
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221337096470?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p398...

Sincerely,
Richard Martz

MagicMartz Media
Atlanta, GA

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
Premiere Pro
DaVinci Resolve 9.0
MAC 8 core
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Sony HD Cameras
8' jib arm
20K watts of lighting
Multitrack audio
Teleprompters
Grip Truck/trailer
Door and hood mounts
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Dec 16, 2013 at 3:45:11 pm

Thank you, thats the answer I was looking for... and yes, short lens will be in my wishlist for sure.

The first lens I plan getting the the full frame tamron 24-70mm. looks like a sweet lens for that price. Great thing is I will be able to use it on full frame cams as well.

Next I need to look for a 14 mm or so for the wide angles.

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 16, 2013 at 6:33:14 pm

I've been pretty happy with the Sigma 17-70 F2.8 It works for most of what I shoot except extreme telephoto and extreme wide angle. .

Sincerely,
Richard Martz

MagicMartz Media
Atlanta, GA

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
Premiere Pro
DaVinci Resolve 9.0
MAC 8 core
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Sony HD Cameras
8' jib arm
20K watts of lighting
Multitrack audio
Teleprompters
Grip Truck/trailer
Door and hood mounts
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:51:44 am

Hi Ali

i own a series of L series Canon lenses and am just planning to buy a BMCC for some production purpose. Few months ago ,i was considering the SONY cameras and was told that i need to again invest in IRIS CONTROL gear when using canon lenses with sony...does that problem exist in BMCC ? Please do share if you know anything about this

thanks
Sumesh

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:55:54 pm

Based on my experience with the BMCC you can only use CANON EF series (or compatible) lenses on the camera. IRIS control is not necessary since the camera will communicate with iris control inside the lenses. There are a few ways to adjust the iris. If you push the iris button you will get instantaneous "AUTO IRIS" adjustment. and from there you can fine tune the iris by using the <> controls to get the desired exposure.

The L series (EF) lenses should work just fine. I'm not even sure what kind of iris control they might be referring to. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could contribute to the discussion.

Sincerely,
Richard Martz

MagicMartz Media
Atlanta, GA

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
Premiere Pro
DaVinci Resolve 9.0
MAC 8 core
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Sony HD Cameras
8' jib arm
20K watts of lighting
Multitrack audio
Teleprompters
Grip Truck/trailer
Door and hood mounts
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Dec 28, 2013 at 10:00:11 am

thanks richard
i guess since BMCC is manufactured with the canon lens adapters this may not be an issue...i would like to hear from the pros already using the BMCC... The problem with SONY cameras which i earlier mentioned existed only when you use canon lens...apparently when using NIKON lenses there was no extra investment required for IRIS Control :)
cheers

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:27:02 pm

Hi Sumesh, I guess our questions are opposites, I have the BMCC but want to know which full frame ef lenses will work great.

Maybe for you would be easier to rent a BMCC for a day and test out all you lenses, the day prices are really cheap.

I now have my eyes set on buying the Canon 16-35 2.8 L serie lens. How did you experience this lens? I plan to use it as all around lens as the crop factor will give an equivilent of around 35 - 80 mm.

Is it realy worth the money?

By the way I just finished my first commercial shoot , a 30 sec tv commercial with the BMCC, Its really great, 2.5 k RAW... fantastic....

Regards,

Adeep

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Jan 1, 2014 at 11:46:19 am

hi adeep
i still dont own a BMCC...So looking forward to it this year hopefully. The 16-35 is one of the widest ...so should work well on a crop sensor
sumesh

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 1, 2014 at 3:16:26 pm

Hi Sumesh, I wanted the 4K, but it was taking tooo long for the release so I settled for the 2.5 K.

I am very happy with it. Will upload my first commercial shoot next week or so. Even with cheaper EF lenses you get amazing footage if you film raw and its very filmic.

One thing, I believe if you are planning to shoot RAW this is awesome cam. If you just going to shoot proress then I would just get a proress cam, For me its all in the RAW.

I bought the camera and two ssd cards, borrowed some lenses, did my first commercial shoot like that.

You will need to spend some good time on post though.

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:19:53 am

hi adeep

i look forward to seeing the footage...pls do drop me a link once you upload...also, any forums where i could learn some video editing on adobe premiere pro ? i have always been a photographer and now slowly migrating to video....i guess editing takes an enormous amount of time ...especially raw

cheers
sumesh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]