BMCC for Live

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PauMin Sudarmin
BMCC for Live
on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:50:12 am

Hi All,

I want to ask :

Is Blackmagic Cinema Camera goog enough to cover Live Event compare with XDCAM or CANON 5D MK III ?

I mean is the (BMCC) Live output from SDI Looks better or equal than Sony XDCAM or Canon 5D MK III (HDMI to SDI).

Thanks for the explanation

Thanks
PM

The Art of Presentation

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: BMCC for Live
on Nov 11, 2013 at 4:23:58 pm

Yes I think so. Certainly better than the 5D though these things are often subjective.

What type of event are you covering? What type of connections do you need? Do you need timecode to sync multiple cameras? Is it going to a switcher?

If you are truly doing a live broadcast, then I would try to get a broadcast camera such as an XDCAM or P2 camera that has more sophisticated broadcast connections. Do a test if possible.

A major part of the appeal of the BMCC is its flat ProRes/DNX and the raw recording. For what you are talking about you are going to shooting in the video (709) color space because you can't really be broadcasting ungraded log footage. Do a test to see if you prefer the 709 BMCC image to the XDCAM image and then seriously consider which will fit best into your workflow. In a live situation, you won't have time to troubleshoot.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 11, 2013 at 5:03:18 pm

Also, lens choice may be a factor. Broadcast cameras have parfocal zooms which hold focus over the zoom range. Unless you have or rent a high-end cine zoom lens for the BMCC, you may not be able to get to shots and focus as quickly as you could with a parfocal.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:35:15 pm

You can definitely use B4 mount ENG lenses with the BMCC, preferably the BMCC MFT model as opposed to the EF model. I explain why here: http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=984

For live a B4 lens would work well, but only with high quality HD optics and a 2X extender.

I've used the BMCC in live event production, in fact the very first ever live event over 100 meter fiber Thunderbolt from the BMCC, over a year ago. I did use photo zoom lenses at the time, so the disadvantage of non-parfocal optics was an issue at the time.

One thing to keep in mind, the BMCC has no genlock output, so if your switcher requires your cameras to have it, you'll have to use extra gear to make it work, or look into the ATEM switchers/sync boxes by BMD that can sync cameras that do not have genlock output.

The clean HD-SDI output is true full raster 1080 at 10-bit 4:2:2 Uncompressed REC709 or LOG (preferably the former as Matt suggested for this type of implementation). Personally, I totally prefer the BMCC over DSLR for this application in a heartbeat.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

PauMin Sudarmin
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:55:06 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply, I've tried to BMCC SDI Live output (using Carl Zeis Prime Lens CP.2) and compare with XDCAM EX1R SDI or HDMI Output, the result is XDCAM color is more dynamic and natural (XDCAM Looks more beautiful than the original).

I want to ask whether i need to do some adjustment to make BMCC Looks better for the Live output ?

For Live, I'm using BPIX Granite, Tricaster TC 860 switcher.

Thanks
PM

The Art of Presentation

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:41:27 am

Are you running in REC709 or LOG mode? LOG will look flat and desaturated by default.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

PauMin Sudarmin
on Nov 14, 2013 at 1:47:27 am

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply, will try :-)

Thanks
PM

The Art of Presentation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved