FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Pocket Camera

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Morin
Black Magic Pocket Camera
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:20:26 pm

Just got a hold of a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera and used it as a primary cam for a shoot this last weekend!
It was definitely a different experience to the EX1-r or the GH2 ive used prior. I have a question about one difference that particularly became an issue.
I initially had voigtlander 25mm m4/3 glass from the gh2 but with the crop factor issue from the bmpcc i resulted in locally purchasing some of the only available m4/3 wide enough that could shoot the interior of a room, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm.
The biggest problem with using the olympus glass was there were no peaking indicators on the bmpcc LCD, but it was strange because i received them from the voigtlander. And with the LCD the camera has, made it nearly impossible to hit the focus i wanted in a few of the outdoor shots. So my question is, how can i obtain these peaking indicators or are they not applicable when it comes to a digital lens....or a potential defect

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Black Magic Pocket Camera
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:17:26 pm

Andy - sadly, the BMPCC's peaking feature only works with non-system lenses. With system lenses, I have had very good luck with my Olympus 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 by pressing the focus button on the camera. This hasn't worked so well with my Panasonic 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8, however.

That said, I also understand that double tapping the "OK" button quickly gives you an expanded image for critical focus, but I haven't tried it. One caveat - from this thread on the Blackmagic forum, I understand that if you double click it too slowly, you'll get the slate screen.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:52:39 pm

Sorry Bill, curious about this. What you're saying is that focus peaking will not work if you use an electronically controlled MFT lens? What do you mean by a "non-system" lens?

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Nov 8, 2013 at 10:10:17 pm

Sorry, Matthew. Yes, I use the terms "system lens" and "electronically controlled lens" interchangeably. And you are correct, focus peaking is not available with system lenses.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 9, 2013 at 2:21:21 am

[Bill Bruner] "And you are correct, focus peaking is not available with system lenses.

I need to see verification on that.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Nov 9, 2013 at 3:52:56 am

You were right to be skeptical, Gary. I posted that answer while I was away from the camera. I came home this evening and put manual Canon FD 50mm f1.8 and auto Olympus 4/3 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 lenses on the BMPCC and was able to use the focus peaking feature with both:

Photo of GH3 and BMPCC with auto and manual lenses

As the manual says:

"When using Pocket Cinema Camera with an autofocus lens press the FOCUS button for focus peaking or autofocus. Press the FOCUS button once to autofocus. Press the FOCUS button twice for focus peaking.

When using a manual lens, press the FOCUS button once for focus peaking."

Apologies for the confusion, everyone.

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]