FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC Strange anomalies during shooting

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stu Blair
BMCC Strange anomalies during shooting
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:08:46 pm

Has anyone experienced strange anomalies when shooting with the BMCC? Like the Rec button not functioning, white frame flashing every second...total lock ups. or pressing power and it powers off, but powers on again immediately.
This behavior really embarrassed me as a professional DoP on a shoot this weekend. When you cant explain your own cameras behavior, you loose some credibility.

Stuart Blair,
Cinematographer
Toronto

Return to posts index

David C Jones
Re: BMCC Strange anomalies during shooting
on Oct 25, 2013 at 2:51:35 am

I've only ever used it once (and I wasn't the DP) but, we didn't have this issue.

What type and brand of SSD were you using? I have heard of issues the camera has when not using certain brands of drives. Have you had any issues with the footage so far?

Dave J

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Oct 25, 2013 at 2:43:09 pm

This doesn't sound like an SSD issues to me though it is certainly possible. On this forum we typically recommend the SanDisk Extreme 240 and 480 SSD's,

Have you updated firmware at all? Possibly something could have gone wrong there. I would honestly call BMD. It sounds like a software glitch and the camera might need to be taken in and repaired. Could try a firmware update as well and see if that fixes it.

I wouldn't take it on any other shoots until you are confident that it is working 100%.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Mark Davis
on Dec 13, 2013 at 9:45:54 am

HI Matthew

I just pick up 2 sandisk ii 480gb ssd's on a great cyber monday deal. I know they're smaller in size which might not be good with possibly moving around. Have you shot with these or know of people who have and if so...good of bad results with RAW and compressed.

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

Stu Blair
on Oct 25, 2013 at 11:34:25 pm

Was using Sandisk extreme 240 GB.
shooting in prores...one thing i thought a commonality after the fact, was the external battery was very low. I wonder if the switch over to the internal bat was not seamless.
The footage is fine. I tend to continuously check operations so we didn't miss anything.

Stu

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 27, 2013 at 8:53:57 pm

I read a thread on the BM Forum re the Pocket camera the other day that concerned interplay between the internal and external batteries that caused issues similar to these when the internal battery wasn't fully charged when using an external.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Stu Blair
on Oct 28, 2013 at 7:55:44 pm

This indeed could be the same situation...considering the firmware is the same on both of these cameras, correct?

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:14:36 pm

The firmware is similar on the cameras though it is not the same. There is the ultimate goal of having a unified firmware though in the current cameras the pocket has a different firmware. Keep in mind that the pocket does not have raw or DNx recording. If firmware were the same, so would be the recording features. Additionally, note how the pocket had the "blooming" effect which was fixed in firmware and that the black spot in highlights was fixed on the pocket though not in the original BMCC. These are all firmware differences of which there are many.

It is my understanding that when there is an external power source plugged in, the camera uses the external power as priority of the internal while simultaneously charging the internal. Because of this I don't think that the low power of the internal battery would have made a difference as the only time it would have actually switched power is swapping external batteries.

I can't say that I've seen this before personally. Is there a problem at all when recording? Issues with footage? Or was it only when on standby and at random times during the day?

I would run some tests using the same power setup you were using on set along with the included power adapter just into a regular outlet. Also try running entirely on internal camera power. Try to recreate the problem using both scenarios as close to what you were doing that day on set and see if you can zero in on the problem.

Post back and let me know your findings.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]