New sandisc extreme ??? for bmcc???

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
New sandisc extreme ??? for bmcc???
on Sep 12, 2013 at 3:56:09 pm

Any one have experience with the following ssd:

Sandisc Extreme II Internal SSD (480GB)

It is different fro the sandisc extreme 480, at lest the specs say soo. Will this also work flawlessly with the BMCC.

What is the difference??? between the normal and the extreme II?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: New sandisc extreme ??? for bmcc???
on Sep 12, 2013 at 9:54:00 pm

The SanDisk SSDs on the Blackmagic approved list are:

Sandisk Extreme 240GB (SDSSDX-240G-G25)
Sandisk Extreme 480GB (SDSSDX-480G-G25)

The II appears to be a bit faster. If it's new, Blackmagic probably haven't had time to evaluate it. Contact support and see what they say. I don't think you'll go wrong using either of the above SSDs.
The new one is only a bit less than a percent faster. Only reason to get it is if it's significantly more robust. And on that subject, checkout the new AngelBird SSDs being introduced at IBC. Reports say they are extremely robust and designed for professional use. Of course, they are much more expensive. But, it's your media after all.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 14, 2013 at 1:00:47 am

Really, just less then 1 % faster ONLY..... and almost 10% more expensive... Is not really woth the deal is it... Better I go with the normal sandik extreme 480 and not the "II" version..

any more thoughts on this is welcome

Return to posts index

Richard Campbell
on Sep 14, 2013 at 2:24:04 am

I bought one the other day because I needed one the next morning. It worked fine.

Richard Campbell
Tvshooter Video Production
Atlanta, GA
http://www.Tvshooter.net

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 14, 2013 at 2:08:01 pm

Did you notice a big difference in speed or anything else?

Return to posts index

Richard Campbell
on Sep 14, 2013 at 2:53:40 pm

No. IN fact I was in such a hurry to get it, that I didn't even realize it was not on the list. Our local BMCC dealer does not stock SSD drives....go figure...and tells people to just run over to Best Buy and get one. Uh...no.

I got one at a computer store and the Extreme II was all they had. But I noticed no difference in performance either way.

I did notice a difference in price. Ugh.

Richard Campbell
Tvshooter Video Production
Atlanta, GA
http://www.Tvshooter.net

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 14, 2013 at 4:37:42 pm

Same experience here. I bought my BMCC in Toronto. Very nice dealer and all but they did not have accessories at all, not even the SSD cards.

They also said... just hop over to any Computer store and they will have them.... well turned out no one had them.

I am from Caribbean so had to leave Toronto, now back on my Sunny island want to film some nice tropical sceneries.. but no SSD card available on island... Have to buy online, pay transport/duties and taxes....

I will safe some bucks if I just order the old version sandisk extreme 480... if there is hardly any difference in performance... So Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on this.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:31:09 pm

Yes, but I dont know if I saw correct but the Sandic Extreme II is not on the list???

Return to posts index

Mark Davis
on Dec 13, 2013 at 9:42:33 am

Hi Richard,
I was wondering if you're still using the Sandisk ii 480 ssd with your BMCC? I just pick up 2 of these on a very good cyber monday deal and I was wondering if you've had good luck this whole time with both RAW and compressed footage.

It's getting hard to find the older Sandisk SSD's that lots of DP's have been using with good results.

Also, I haven't opened the SSD cases....do the plastic adapters come in the sealed box?

Take it easy
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]