FORUMS: list search recent posts

battery life while shooting

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evans Briceño
battery life while shooting
on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:31:45 pm

Hi guys, any of you had experience a drop from 100% to 75% in no more than 8 minutes standby?

I charged the battery yesterday for the first time and after 5 minutes standby I turn off the camera and turn on again and the status menu changed to 75%

is this normal?

how this camera handles the charging of the battery? if I go beyond the 2 hours can I damage the battery?

Also I can see that in 5600 Temp it has a blue-ish tendency... I red some review pointing this matter and warning about the need of correct in Post.

kind regards

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.
VZLA. +584166352066 / +582122838114 / USA +1-718-673-3326
virtualevans@gmail.com / contacto@virtualevans.com / http://www.virtualevans.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: battery life while shooting
on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:47:57 pm

I don't know about any white balance issue. As for the camera battery, I don't think you will hurt it by overcharging. However, I believe Philip Bloom mentioned in his review of the camera that battery life was bad. Most folks seem to use an external battery with, typically, a 90WH battery. That kind of battery should run the cam for 3 hours or more. Checkout Anton Bauer, Switronix and IDX batteries.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Sep 11, 2013 at 5:24:57 pm

[Evans Briceño] "... I can see that in 5600 Temp it has a blue-ish tendency... I red some review pointing this matter and warning about the need of correct in Post."

You might test using a 5000K or 6500K white balance if you don't like how the 5600K setting looks, or gel your lights, or possibly use a color correction filter on your lens, or (most often) CC in post.

10-bit ProRes & DNxHD, and 12-bit RAW, allow for a very wide range of CC in post.

Use whichever method (or combination) is most appropriate for your production.

Concerning external batteries: In addition to the excellent suggestions posted by John (I use Anton-Bauer myself), if you're looking for a less-expensive external battery solution, consider also Bescor's BMCC-specific product:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/922934-REG/bescor_bcs_bmepic_bm_li_io...

-

---

http://www.peterdv.com
Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Ian Bee
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:15:08 pm

Evans, I am debating purchasing a BM camera, do you feel like the battery life is an issue for you?

Return to posts index

Evans Briceño
on Oct 11, 2013 at 7:40:36 am

now for me there are most important issues with this camera.

About battery is an issue if you put all the resposability in the build battery. In less than 90 minutes you can ran out of power. So is a most to have a third party external battery. like the switronics for Bmcc. and for a heavy weight projects, you will need somthing like the PRo-X of the same brand. Or more expensive IDX.

Best regards.

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.
VZLA. +584166352066 / +582122838114 / USA +1-718-673-3326
virtualevans@gmail.com / contacto@virtualevans.com / http://www.virtualevans.com

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 15, 2013 at 5:10:31 pm

Blackmagic was VERY forthright in identifying the battery life as being a maximum of 90 minutes. The ACTUAL life of the internal battery depends on several factors. If you set the brightness up really high the battery will not last as long because extra energy will be expended in the form of light being displayed on the viewfinder. Additionally different SSD drives have different power consumption rates. So unless you are only going to shoot for a few minutes doing some extremely portable hand-held work, you will probably need a battery system that will last for 8 hours or more. That will mean at least 2 batteries for most shooters.

The camera consumes on average 16-22 watts of power at 12VDC (14.4 volts, nominal). So I always have four BRIKPOWER batteries when I shoot in the field. I can run for the better part of two days with only four batteries without recharging. You can buy these on ebay at a fraction of the cost of some other batteries.

As you know most PROFESSIONAL cameras do not have "internal" batteries. Most professional cameras come equipped with the ability to accept either "shore power" or a traditional block-style battery. When you connect the batteries to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera what happens is a bit different. Any time you connect power to the BMC Camera (AC adaptor or Battery) it begins first by charging the internal battery. This happens whether or not the camera is turned on. And it happens with the AC adaptor or if you use an external battery. So even if you are not aware of it, the battery you connect could be partially drained off by silently charging the internal battery.

The BRIKPOWER batteries i mentioned earlier have a switch and a bright red indicator light to help preserve your options in this regard. You can simply switch off the battery to avoid having it drained off to maintain the internal battery.

You can buy BRIKPOWER batteries and chargers on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BrikPower-BMCC1A-Battery-for-Blackmagic-Cinema-Came...

SO...The battery on the BMCC should be probably thought of as a convenience rather than a primary battery and reliable source of legit power.

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
MAC 8 core
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved