FORUMS: list search recent posts

real 8bit color depth monitor for bmcc

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evans Briceño
real 8bit color depth monitor for bmcc
on Sep 4, 2013 at 4:46:00 pm

Dear friends, I've been reading and searching about 7"monitors. the marshall V-LCD70MD-3G 7" , the IKAN D7W , TVLOGIC 5.6, and SmallHD AC7

I have many concerns about every monitor: Marshall has it all except 1280 panel. Ikan doesn't have format marks and I have been hear it has quality flaws or slow respond when switching formats or monitoring time delay. tvlogic high price for the allegedly 6bit panel color depth as SmallHD clains in his site:

http://www.smallhd.com/products/ac7/oled-vs-lcd-on-camera-field-monitors.ht...

AC7 doesn't come with either format marks, and waveform monitoring..

so is a frustrating scenario.

I undesrtand that bmcc needs a high resolution monitor plus waveform in order to work properly and save time in post.

some advice?? how can I know if the Ikan is 8 bit? and live without marks, sound monitoring, etc. I know here there are friends who loves or are brand fans, but actually I realy need a point of view of someone has worked at least, with 2 or 3 of the monitors above or has some technical info about this 6bits and 8 bits panels.... is there a difference to the eye?

thanks in advance..

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.
VZLA. +584166352066 / +582122838114 / USA +1-718-673-3326
virtualevans@gmail.com / contacto@virtualevans.com / http://www.virtualevans.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: real 8bit color depth monitor for bmcc
on Sep 4, 2013 at 5:20:24 pm

The only monitor above that is actually 8bit is the AC7. The others are 6bit panels that use a process called "dithering" to smooth out artifacts such as banding.

That's not to say that the others are not good monitors. For the sake of reliability, I would stay away from the Ikan monitor. Ikan seems to be doing some interesting things lately by partnering with some companies like Tilta, but the true Ikan branded stuff I have just found to cut too many corners to get the price low and they just seem to have generally silly design flaws.

The Marshall's are alright but to me they just don't really DO enough. Even Marshall admitted to having lost to TVLogic.

The TVLogic is an excellent monitor. It is 6bit with dithering but it is not bad. If you need it to be an on camera monitor that will be easy to see and pull focus, this is it. It is not for color management. It's also on the smaller side.

The AC7 will probably give the best color though like anything else, you need to calibrate it. That being said, the AC7 I've heard to be a little plastic-y compared to the TVLogic.

Are you in a rush? SmallHD has the DP7 dropping and while the only one currently available, the OLED-SX, is very expensive, it will be excellent. Coming soon will be the DP7-PRO SB which is positioned to be the best monitor in its class especially considering the expected price tag of $1,599.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Evans Briceño
on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:50:43 pm

Thanks for your help. Actually . I have a marshall 5.6 but is hdmi input so the bmcc will need the sdi feature. I was thinking to wait and use my 5.6 while I wait for a better option. But i need it at least in one month as late.

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.
VZLA. +584166352066 / +582122838114 / USA +1-718-673-3326
virtualevans@gmail.com / contacto@virtualevans.com / http://www.virtualevans.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:14:07 pm

Checkout the coming Convergent Odyssey 7. It's a 7.7" OLED, 1280x800, RGB 8-Bit display. And for more $ it's also a recorder.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]