FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC bet SSD cards

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
BMCC bet SSD cards
on Sep 1, 2013 at 5:16:54 pm

I am finally buying a 2.5 K Cinema camera...

Tired of waiting for the 4k and for the pocket to have RAW.

So I am going for the 2.5 K RAW.

I read that there have been problems with certain type of SSD cards for example: Vertex 3's

Please any one with experience advice me as to which brand to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David C Jones
Re: BMCC bet SSD cards
on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:39:21 pm

We used the SanDisk 480GB which is one (I believe) that's recommended by BMCC.

480GBhttp://www.borrowlenses.com/product/SanDisk_Extreme_Solid_State_Drive_480GB

As I understand it, there has been issues with the camera dropping frames during recording. We never had this problem, as far as I know with the 480. But the thing to watch is if the record light flashes during recording. If it does, the camera is dropping frames. Always check everything you record in field BEFORE packing up! Better safe than sorry!

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:58:41 pm

Thanks Dave, Thats what I will get then.

I am still trying to decide on whether the MFT or EF version I will buy.

Do you know if the image quality is the same. I mean with kind of same quality lens on both would the image quality be the same?

I am kind of leaning towards the EF version,but last week I was sure to buy the MFT.

PS: I am buying from a supplier that has both in stock. Day after tomorrow will be the big day, I will finally own one.

I have 3 commercials (30 sec) to shoot with it asap.

If you have any tips on what to look for when buying the camera will also be so welcome.

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:17:27 am

We used the EF one with a few different lenses from DSLR's which looked great. I wasn't the DP and I can't remember all the ones he had except for the Canon Fish Eye here http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/canon_fish/Canon_EF_8_15mm_L We used it most of the time.

Hopefully someone who knows more than I about EF vs. MFT.

I would recommend getting a cage, top handle, battery mount that takes Anton Baurer Batteries and 2-3 batteries. Also you'll want a small external monitor, as opposed to using the BMCC screen. The screen isn't bright enough in daylight and you'll see mostly your own reflection in it.

Of course all this will set you back another 1 to 2K, but all necessary in my opinion.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:26:50 pm

[Ali Quintana] "I read that there have been problems with certain type of SSD cards for example: Vertex 3's

Please any one with experience advice me as to which brand to buy?"

We've been using the SanDisk Extreme 480 GB on the BMCC since before its public release over a year ago and to this day have never dropped a single frame with them in either RAW or ProRes HQ. We have continually recommended this specific SSD to the BMCC community since day 1. We had issues using other SSDs, but none with this specific SanDisk model, and we have about a half dozen of them. Because of its reliability, we don't bother messing around with anything else.

As per your EF vs. MFT question, I answered that in your other thread here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/367/770

Thanks,

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

PLEASE VOTE FOR ME TO PRESENT AT SXSW 2014!

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:02:23 pm

I also use the SanDisk SSDs. They are consistently reliable. The 480 is approved though I have had no issues at all with the 240 which may be more economical if you plan on shooting ProRes. If you want to do raw then the 480 is what you will need.

As per image quality between the MFT or EF, they are, as bodies, exactly the same image. Everything comes down to the the lens at that point. If you already own, or would like to buy, Canon L lenses, then you really have no particular "need" top get the MFT unless you want to get into the MFT system. If you use a cheaper Canon lens it will look worse than a good MFT lens like the Voigtlander 25 .95. But a Canon L lens will look better than a cheaper MFT lens.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:01:22 pm

Just bought the BM Cinema cam EF version...... finally.....

You guys and this forum have been so helpfull.

Will get extreme 480 today..

Question: There seems to be a newer version of Scandisk extreme there is a 2 behind as in Scandisk extreme 2. Will it work with my camera?

Which reader should I get for the Extreme 480, I am on windows 7.

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:04:34 pm

This is the reader I bought and the one that rents at borrowlenes.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798869-REG/VOYAGER_Q_800_400_USB3_eSA...

Dave J

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:48:26 pm

Thanks Dave,

Did you also use this with the scan disk extreme 480?

Also for RAW 2.5k.

what is the approximate transfer time to computer on this.

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Sep 6, 2013 at 3:36:04 am

Yes, we used it with the 480, shooting 2.5K RAW. We didn't quite fill the drive and I wasn't the one transferring the data but, I believe it took about 30 minutes for around 50 minutes of footage. But I could be wrong :)

Dave J

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:03:08 pm

I've used the Voyager for years to transfer all sorts of data. However, if you're thinking future you might want to consider a Thunderbolt transfer dock like the hHighPoint RocketStor RS5212 Thunderbolt Storage Dock. I haven't used that, but it looks good.

I have used a Seagate Backup Plus Portable Thunderbolt Adapter with SATA drives and it works very well.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:01:58 pm

Thank you, I am shopping for the SSD, there seem to be two different ssd extremes available:

SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive (480GB)

& the

SanDisk Extreme II Internal SSD (480GB)

Which one would work best on BMCC?

See link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=skandisk+extreme+480&N=0&InitialSe...

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 11, 2013 at 11:49:38 pm

I don't know which SSD is best, but you might want to checkout some new SSDs from AngelBird. http://www.angelbird.com/en/prod/ssd2go-98/
But, wait a week as they're introducing a Pro and Raw version at IBC.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]