FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mix Shuttle 2 uncompressed with BM RAW or ProRes

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Duffey
Mix Shuttle 2 uncompressed with BM RAW or ProRes
on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:01:04 am

Hi all,

I have a Canon T3i and use the Shuttle 2 with DNxHD (for now). I am curious though, how to mix video of different compressions (and formats). I use Adobe Premiere and/or After Effects, although I use Handbrake sometimes as well. I am far from knowing how to color grade very well at this point, but hoping that if I purchase the 4K or 2.5K camera, I can use the software the camera comes with.

At any rate, I am wondering what the work flow is like mixing two (or even say a 3rd video from a crappy 1080p phone recording.. yah, I know.. it won't come close in quality) video files with differing resolutions and compression schemes. As a Windows/Premiere user, it's near impossible to use ProRes, which is another concern of mine given the 4K camera only shoots ProRes or CinemaDNG.. curious why it's not also able to shoot DNxHD.

But let's say I shoot 4K CinemaDNG, and then want to mix the Shutle 2 uncompressed or DNxHD.. is it possible or do the different resolutions/compressions make it difficult?

I have to assume on movies and indie films where they shoot with say a scarlet but also use a Canon or Nikon for some scenes.. it must be possible to some degree.

I am asking this primarily because I was hoping to use my Canon + Shuttle 2 as a 2nd camera for a different angle or for those shots like mounted to a moving car that I don't want to chance my (soon to be) BM camera on.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
Re: Mix Shuttle 2 uncompressed with BM RAW or ProRes
on Aug 14, 2013 at 1:41:41 pm

Hi there,

I have a Canon T2i/shuttle 2 combination and also the BMCC 2.5k camera. While I've never used the two together using the uncompressed settings, I have used it all with the Prores settings. I use FCPX and found this combination quite easy to use together. I found it pretty easy to match colors between the two cameras. I would suggest doing a bit of test shooting to test out your workflow and to see if you can get a pretty close match before you do your actual shoot though. I didn't, and feel it may have caused my footage to suffer a bit. I used the color board in FCPX to color grade but if you have access to resolve, try learning that and it should help in your color grading.

Also, your computer will need to be somewhat powerful if you intend on working with both the uncompressed and the cinema DNG files natively. If you look at the link below, you will see a live shoot that I did. If you read the description, you'll see the workflow I used. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]