FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help deciding what camera to buy

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Lavin
Need help deciding what camera to buy
on Jul 20, 2013 at 7:01:37 pm

Im on the fence about which camera to buy and wanted to know what the pros and cons are for the black magic camera. I can't decide between the black magic and the Sony nex vg 900 and would like advice on which one would be a better buy. I plan on filming music videos and tv programming.

Return to posts index

David C Jones
Re: Need deciding what camera to buy
on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:34:05 pm

In my opinion, the BMCC is really more of a professional production camera. The BMCC records internally in ProRes 442HQ and RAW uncompressed; the two highest quality codecs available. The Sony nex vg 900 has internal compression rate is 28Mbps though, you can run uncompressed 1080p out via the HDMI output.

In ether case, be prepared to spend money on all the extras you'll need or want; case, lenses & light control, like filters, mattebox, flag; batteries, mounts and/or cages, especially with the BMCC.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Mike Lavin
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:42:04 pm

Thank you for your input, in the last couple days I have decided on the BMCC as my next camera. Do you have any advice as far as stedicam, external battery, and external memory goes?? I would really appreciate the advice.

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:06:40 pm

I have this battery mount from View Factor http://www.viewfactor.net/products/blackmagic/bmc-ab-power-hinge.html. And during my last shoot with the BMCC used their cage, rods and top handle along with the Redrock Mattebox & follow focus (Redrock also makes all or most of the other items, too).

As far as memory I used the SandDisk Extreme SSD 480GB.

You'll also want to get an external monitor; the one on the back of the BMCC is almost useless as a field monitor; it's VERY reflective and somewhat dark).

On thing to note about the BMCC: it doesn't have any built-in filters like neutral density so, you'll want to buy or rent a set if you're doing anything outside.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Dec 15, 2013 at 12:18:00 am

If you have not found a battery system yet, check out this one from BrikPower: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221337096470?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p398...

I developed the battery and it is incredible. One battery will last WHILE RECORDING with viewfinder at 100% will last for 4 hours. And they are mounted in a cast aluminum case - NO PLASTIC.

Our BRIKPOWER Battery comes with one, 3 foot long BMCC power cable AND a 12 foot extension cable to place the battery power somewhere other than at the camera head (using a teleprompter or placing the BMCC on a jib arm).

I'm a Cinematographer. When I began to investigate what battery I wanted to use with my own BMCC camera I discovered that I wanted more from my battery. Our battery is intended to be mounted behind and below the camera for an unobstructed view of the BMCC viewfinder. BRIKPOWER is tough. We skimped on nothing. This battery system is ready to be mounted on 15mm rails and comes with TWO integrated Aluminum rail blocks for that purpose. Having dual rail blocks distributes the battery weight with 4 locking points so that the battery is secure. Each battery has it's own set of rail blocks so changing the battery is a fast, painless process.

BRIKPOWER - Battery Power for Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

CAST ALUMINUM HOUSING 3" x 4" x 5.5" to fit perfectly with a rail mount

15mm RAIL BLOCKS FOR MOUNTING ON CINEMA RAILS ARE INCLUDED

LED INDICATOR LIGHT AND DISCONNECT SWITCH

LASTS UP TO 4 HOURS WITH BMCC

3' BMCC CABLE AND A 12' EXTENSION CABLE ARE INCLUDED

DESIGNED specifically TO WORK WITH BMCC

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
MAC 8 core
After Effects