FORUMS: list search recent posts

bmcc raw, resolve not recognizing file structure

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
bmcc raw, resolve not recognizing file structure
on Jul 4, 2013 at 9:36:50 pm

hi. just completed my first raw shoot with the BMCC 2.5k raw camera.

i shot onto two sandisk extreme 480 ssd's. afterwards, i copied the contents of each SSD into its own directory on an external hard drive. so there are two directories: roll1 and roll2. within each directory are the directories from the SSD containing the clips images and the wav. i didnt alter anything in these directories other than to just copy the SSD directly into the roll1 or roll2 directory on the drive.

now, when i plug the drive in and open Resolve 9 Lite, resolve seems to be having trouble recognizing the file structure.

For instance looking in the roll1 directory in the Library of resolve, it shows all but 5 of the DNGs correctly. However 5 of them it shows as folders instead of clips. within the folder it has them kind of randomly split into single frames or hanful of frame clips. when i drag one of those folders, which should be a single clip, into the media pool, it creates a ton of separate clips.

here is screen shot

anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: bmcc raw, resolve not recognizing file structure
on Jul 5, 2013 at 11:18:41 pm

Looks to me to be a recording issue. Looking at your screen grab I see that these clips have no associated time code, start, end, frames, or resolution. These files it looks to me are somehow corrupted.

Is there any possibility that there was an issue during your file transfer? Did you drag and drop or did you use a software such as Shotput Pro to transfer your files?

Are these clips still on your SSD? Can you try the transfer again?

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 5, 2013 at 11:22:50 pm

I dragged and dropped from the SSD. I dont have access to files on SSD any longer.

Is there anyway for me to recover from this?

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 5, 2013 at 11:25:32 pm

by the way here is a screenshot of the folder structure on my HD. as you can see everything looks in order...

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jul 5, 2013 at 11:34:08 pm

Unfortunately there is none that I know of. If you can't reload from the original cards, I'm afraid you have what you have. I'm inclined to think that it was a write or a transfer error only because of how the other files are working fine.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. It is a difficult thing to deal with and I learned my lesson on RED footage a while back. Shotput Pro is $99 and that sounds like a tough pill to swallow but it will save you from this happening in the future.

Unfortunately this isn't a folder structure issue or anything that you can see just by checking to make sure everything is there after you drag and drop. As you can see, if you just look inside the folder you will see a folder for every shot but that doesn't mean that all of metadata was written properly. Shotput Pro performs constant write checks as it imports, and verifies that everything was brought in properly. I've had many occasions where Shotput Pro has caught failures that I would not have ever noticed just by checking folder structure.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 6, 2013 at 1:57:05 am

Yeah all sound like good advise. This was my first time working with a camera other than a DSLR without having a DIT.

Upon further educating myself and looking at my file structure I think I've got a lot of dropped frames and that's whats causing certain clips to appear in Resolve as directories unto themselves (each containing an audio file and a mix of single frames and short clips).

How common is this problem with the BMCC?

I have abou 8 clips out of something like 40 clips with dropped frames. It's not going to ruin the project, but it certainly will make me think twice about using this camera again.

Are there strategies people use to avoid this?

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Jul 6, 2013 at 2:44:40 am

Have you tried opening the files in another program? Maybe this has nothing to do with you issue but, I'm not sure Resolve Lite will work with RAW, only 1080p. But I may not have that quite right.

As far as dropped frames, I've heard of it happening on certain SSD's; not sure about the Sand Disks. The one way you can know in the field if you have dropped frames is if the record light blinks while recording. May not be the easiest to see, though.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 6, 2013 at 3:01:41 am

unfortunately i can tell looking inside the directory for these few clips that there are missing frames...ie the file numbers skips here and there.

i was on a sandisk extreme 480 which seems to be the most highly rated cards.

has anyone else experienced this?

is it possible that the equipment i rented was malfunctioning?

Return to posts index

David C Jones
on Jul 6, 2013 at 3:06:35 am

We shot last month on a BMCC rental (@2.5K RAW) and the same sandisk 480 and didn't have any dropped frames (as far as I know...lol).

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jul 13, 2013 at 10:59:29 pm

This is definitely a case of dropped frames. Before filming with those cards did you do a proper format in Mac OS? We had dropped frames with our BMCC but formatting the disk on a MacBook Pro before filming has always solved it. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do now-it's not a camera fault, it's an issue with the SSD and something that the firm you hired from should maybe have warned you about.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:26:45 pm

interestingly i did reformat one of the SSDs as it was fat32. the other was already mac OS.

both had dropped frames (and yes i now realize was dropped frames as there are indeed missing frames).

is this something that the rental house should reasonable be at fault for?

also, the SSD reader they provided was super sketchy. is it possible that the problem is from the SSD reader and the copying? or is the fact that actual frames are missing in the cinema DNG folders proof positive that frames were dropped while filming?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:16:11 pm

I don't think you can blame them, it's just an unfortunate case of something you could have been told about, or maybe should have learnt from the Blackmagic forums.

Dropped frames won't have been caused by the card reader - they will have been caused by a data rate issue whilst the SSD is in the camera.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Aug 17, 2013 at 3:43:50 am

You may be able to "fix" these files by using an Automator script or A Better Finder Renamer to rename these files in sequence. Just make sure you use the same file name as the first one in the folder.

If it's just a random frame here or there, the shot may be usable, depending on audio sync (if needed) and the type of motion.

This is the same behavior in After Effects where it needs an unbroken image sequence to "read" as continuous video instead of a random collection of image files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]