FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res (not HQ)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
Pro Res (not HQ)
on Jun 30, 2013 at 11:37:51 am

Both the 2.5k & BMPCC cameras (and Hyper Decks)records in ProRes HQ (112.4GB per hour). Has there been any thought to include the ProRes (regular - 75.3GB per hr) codec as an optional recording format. Would we lose much in quality/dynamic range? As expressed by many in several of the blogs, much of the footage will be used for broadcast and web, the ProRes codec provides ample quality for both Bcast and web and has the benefit of taking up a lot less record/archiving space.

Also, an issue, voiced in many places, the lack of audio metering, is of concern. Hopefully, in camera audio metering will be address soon.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Pro Res (not HQ)
on Jul 5, 2013 at 11:12:01 pm

There doesn't seem to be any indication that BM will be adding standard ProRes. I believe that they feel HQ to be the best balance of the various ProRes flavors of quality and compression and don't want to compromise that any more than they have.

As per audio meters, this is perhaps the most commonly requested (demanded?) feature for future firmware updates. Can't speculate as to what has been making it so difficult to implement, but they are very much aware of this.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
Re: Pro Res (not HQ)
on Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41:36 pm

Matthew,

Thanks for the follow up on HQ.

From what I've read, it looks like at HQ you can fit approximately 77 mins on a 128GB card (I'm assuming that is @ 30p). The Pocket seems to have the capability of recording @ 24p. According to the AJA calculator ProRes HQ @ 24p should use up 90.1GB per hr (maybe 100 mins on a 128). Any confirmation on those calculations?

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]