FORUMS: list search recent posts

grading BMCC footage to match another camera/lens setup

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
grading BMCC footage to match another camera/lens setup
on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:27:43 pm

hey there. am shooting 3 pickup shots in about a week that will be used in a feature film that was shot on an Arri Alexa with Cooke Primes and a massive Angenieux Optimo zoom.

production budget is pretty drained at this point and we need to go for something low cost.

we are looking at either the BMCC or a Cannon C300 for this. will be using with dslr lenses.

what are your thoughts in terms of which camera will give us the best lattitude for color grading to match in post. the three shots are 1)exterior late afternoon on a long zoom 2)interior night available light or very little supplemental light on a prime lens 3)interior day available light on a prime

thanks!

Return to posts index

David C Jones
Re: grading BMCC footage to match another camera/lens setup
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:22:15 pm

I'm not an expert in the differences between the two cameras but, we just got done shooting with the BMCC for the first time and I don't think I'd wanna use anything else (except an Alexa :)).

Of course, it may depend on what your final output is going to be and what format/codec the ARRI was set up to shoot. With the BMCC, if you're shooting RAW, you have, I believe, the widest exposure latitude of just about any camera out there. You'd also be shooting RAW or ProRes which is what the ARRI shoots though, the Alexa will also do 4K; the 300 internal recording is limited to 50mbps (not sure about HD/SDI out).

Hopefully someone with more expertise on the differences can chime in here.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: grading BMCC footage to match another camera/lens setup
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:27:39 pm

I would say go for the BMCC. The raw will give you greater latitude to grade with and therefor match with. Also, the sensor is from a similar family as the Alexa so the tones are pretty close out of the gate. It will also rent cheaper than a C300.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]