FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC 4 K with EF mount, how about PL?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pekin azer
BMCC 4 K with EF mount, how about PL?
on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:32:44 am

Hi all.... İ am placing my pre-order in 10 hours (3:28 AM now).... İ just don't want to place an order or even wait and then get my 4K camera with EF mount and see a PL mount version.... İs there a possiblity?
Also any ideas on EF to PL adaptors? There are many on ebay.... Any experience?
Thanks,
Pekin
http://www.pekinazer.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: BMCC 4 K with EF mount, how about PL?
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:10:04 pm

I have not had experience with PL adapters however I do know that even with a mount adapter, typically only zoom lenses will fit not due to the flange distance, but due to the actual physical width of the EF mount on the inside not being wide enough to accomodate the rear of prime PL mount lenses. The KCW Technica I understand though to be pretty much the best out there,

As per your original question, John Brawley has hinted that they are investigating doing a PL mount version of the Production Camera. However it is always a trade off. A PL mount version will be a longer wait while you could have an EF sooner. Do you already own PL mount glass? If not but you intend on buying, there are now a lot of really excellent options out there that come in EF mount such as the Schneider Cine-Xenar III. And of course the Zeiss ZF mounts are interchangeable. But there is no guarantee that your wait for a PL mount will ever amount to anything. It may. They may come out with it. But at the same time, they may not.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

pekin azer
on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:14:44 pm

Thanks for the reply,

i don't own any PL glass.... But, arri zeiss super speed lens set can be rented for 120 USD for one day.... My friend owns a full CP.2 set that i can always use.... i might get a 18-100 cooke lens...

Here is the issue... if i use SLR lens on S35 sensor, won't i have a crop factor?...

Anyways i am on the list now.... i'm the 9th person on the 4K list... Locally ofcourse.

Regards,
Pekin

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:26:26 pm

Yeah I understand the issues when it comes to wanting to rent lenses. But the camera is primarily designed to be owned and to be part of a collection of lenses that you own as well. It will of course be rented out along with lenses but it's primarily aimed at the DSLR market. That's why the EF mount has always been priority for them, even over the MFT mount. I have confidence that you would not have much trouble with the Cooke 18-100 as many PL zooms seem to fit into the EF mount. The problem again is the primes.

As per crop factor. This is a much discussed issues and there is a recent thread about it on this forum. Basically, crop factor is relative. There is no crop factor if you consider it in Super35 terms, only if you think in 35mm still photography terms. Furthermore, a 50, is a 50, is a 50. I.E., any 50mm lens, regardless of what sensor the lens is designed for, is a 50mm lens. The sensor dictates the field of view, not the focal length. So a 50mm designed for full frame put on a Super35 sensor, will have the EXACT SAME field of view, as a 50mm PL mount prime designed for a Super35 sensor. The only difference is that the PL is designed for the smaller imager and has a smaller image circle so it would vignette were it put on a full frame camera. But if you took a 50mm Zeiss Master Prime and put it on the Production Camera, and then swapped the lens for the 50mm Canon 1.2L, the field of view would be identical even though they are designed for different sized imagers.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

pekin azer
on Apr 19, 2013 at 8:06:00 pm

Thanks again,
Pekin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]