FORUMS: list search recent posts

***Do not buy an Ikan handle for your BMCC!***

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Luker
***Do not buy an Ikan handle for your BMCC!***
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:40:11 am

I just got my order from Ikan this week and finally had some time to hook it up to my BMCC...
What I ordered:
http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=629
http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=642

Got it all put together and was all excited...

Then I took it apart to put it all back in it's case and, BAM! I now have some nice indentations in the top of my BMCC!

Ya, I'm pissed.
Looks like the QC guys didn't check their handywork on this one. THe screws on the bottom dig right in to the aluminum on the top of the BMCC.
I am suggesting not to buy this setup unless you're ok with defacing your precious.

Return to posts index

Chris Luker
Re: ***Do not buy an Ikan handle for your BMCC!***
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:50:03 pm

Here's the reply from Ikan:
Judging from your photos, it appears the normal wear and tear that occurs on the aluminum body of the black magic camera.

We have a few of these cameras in our possession, and when we attached anything that is metal(Ikan and non Ikan products), it usually leaves a few scratches/marks.

We’ll still be happy to provide refund for your Ikan purchase, but since this isn’t a fault of the ELE-BMC-HDL, we will have to charge a 15% restocking.

Return to posts index

Chris Luker
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:53:37 pm

I guess it's normal that the screws dent the top of your camera.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:41:05 pm

Yeah, there's no question those four screws should have been flanged just a hair deeper and those gashes wouldn't be gnarled into the camera body like that. Would only need 1 or 2mm worth. That's a shame... totally avoidable at the manufacturing stage.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

Chris Luker
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:55:01 pm

I actually just did that myself...

New slogan:
"Ikan: Finish it yourself!"

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:57:25 pm

LOL!!!!! I like your pro-active approach, Chris! Good on ya! Hopefully IKAN will follow the lead and adjust their flange depth as well and be a done issue. Cheers!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

Chris Luker
on Apr 9, 2013 at 7:03:53 am

So I stopped by the Ikan booth today and talked with Michael Webb the VP of Product Development...
Seems there was a miscommunication with support. The first few batches had the flange depth right, while the batch that had mine (and the one they had on display at the booth) aren't made to the right tolerances.
Michael is looking into it personally.
Sounds like they will be making it right as soon as possible.
Hopefully no one else gets dents in their camera from an Ikan handle!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]