Just a few clips from a recent test we did in the studio

https://vimeo.com/58800143

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Brief clips from a recent studio shoot with the BMCC
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:41:54 pm

I think reproducing skin tones is where this camera is really going to shine. I worry about the form factor and ease of use for the kind of work I do. But man, those skin tones look great.

Well lit too. Nice job.

As these cameras finally get into people's hands, I will be interested to see how people are able to use them in run & gun docu work.

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:49:01 pm

[John Young] "As these cameras finally get into people's hands, I will be interested to see how people are able to use them in run & gun docu work."

Thanks for the comments John, it was a test with harsh light to see how the camera reacts, in real world use it would have been lit much softer, this camera really feels like a Super 16 Film camera in it's look.

If people can use DLSR's for run and gun then they will be able to use the BMCC, a viewfinder is absolutely essential though as the screen is not usable for anything other than menus settings in bright light.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

John Young
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:02:57 am

Don't you have to go through the menu to change f-stop/ISO? If I am shooting a live band in a club, I can see that causing problems and resulting in missing shots.

But for shooting more controlled shoots, I don't know if anything is going to beat this at this price.

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 10, 2013 at 9:59:05 am

You don't need the menu to change F stop, but you do for iso. Unless you're shooting in RAW then iso doesn't matter

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Brian Collins
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:46:31 am

Great looking clips. I've been eyeing the camera myself but I'm a little gun shy given the unconventional form factor. How are you guys using the camera? Studio, location, what types of work?

Brian Collins
Birmingham, AL
http://www.atomicpix.com

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:19:20 am

[Brian Collins] "How are you guys using the camera? Studio, location, what types of work?"

Brian, I can only speak for myself, but we've had the camera since prior to its public release in mid-2012, and I can say we used it in almost all manners of production: studio, location, live event production, documentary, nature, interviews, product shots, even time-lapse (introduced in version 1.2). If you've shot with HDSLR, then the Cinema Camera shouldn't be too big of a step away from that. I remember when HDSLRs were thought of as unconventional for shooting video with, but it seems most people were able to work with it just fine, including myself.

With all that said, if most of what you're going to shoot is ENG, then this isn't the camera for you. If however you plan on shooting cinema style with it, then this camera works very well in that scenario.

Cheers,

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

John Richard
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:54:35 pm

For run and gun shooting and the question of exposure, the BMCC is actually very easy and can be thought of almost as being able to set exposure automatically I have found.

Shooting in raw you simply hit the Iris button above and left of the monitor screen. This iris button will set an aperture that is just below highlight clipping for the shot.

Then in Resolve you have all kinds of room to push the shot around.

I have found that if you are shooting in raw with the BMCC, you protect the highlights - set your zebras at 100% and set an aperture to just get the zebras to start showing or back off slightly. You will have tons of latitude to make the shot whatever you need it to be.

But for run and gun, the iris button, raw, and no worries about white balance are all your friend for some awesome shots in post.

Focus is important - you almost need an EVF to be sure you nail it.
Rolling shutter on very fast movement can be an issue. Treat it like 24 fps film shooting and the laws of panning/tilt speed.

http://www.LightPrism.TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]