FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anybody have better information on MFT shipping timeline?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Winet
Anybody have better information on MFT shipping timeline?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:01:11 pm

Is it in fact the case that John Brawley has the only extant MFT? I've been trying to follow the various manufacturing updates and all, but nothing is giving any clue how long we have to wait for MFTs. Anybody have any clearer information or a better link? I'd love to use one on an upcoming project in March, but can't wait forever on vague assurances.

Return to posts index

Artur Doering
Re: Anybody have better information on MFT shipping timeline?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:28:40 am

Evan, you cannot hope for reliable information on the MFT version.
it may be easier to get an early sample.
the problems with manufacturing the bmcc must must be as heavy as
6 to 8 weeks ago. Grant Petty promised us an update early january
and today is the 23rd.
it was clearly stated that the MFT version will follow after the
EF version is running well.
it could be wise to ship a few MFT samples to hand selected
professionals.

Return to posts index

Evan Winet
on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:06:59 pm

Thanks, Artur. Certainly seems true that no reliable information is coming out of blackmagic. I've spoken to a few resellers and heard different stories. One expressed confidence that the MFT version will be shipping within a month. B&H reported a backlog of over 800 EF orders and about 500 MFT orders-- all they've gotten from blackmagic so far was a shipment of about a dozen EF models last week. Manufacturing issues arise, nothing to be done about that, but what a shame they dropped the ball so badly after building so much enthusiasm for the release.

Meanwhile, I see that a few EF models are already up on e-Bay with bids topping $4k.

Return to posts index

Artur Doering
on Jan 30, 2013 at 5:05:39 pm

i found this in the blackmagic forum:
----
----

Grant Petty

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi,

Wanted to send out a quick update on camera shipments. The production lines have been up and running with sensors coming in. We have been sending out regular shipments of EF model cameras each week to all of our offices around the world, and each week we are getting cameras out at a faster rate. We are still not at full volume shipping though, because sensors are not quite getting to us at a pace that I could say was full volume. But each day I am seeing the volume get better from the sensor company. I am happy with the quality of the sensors.

For the MFT model, we want to get through some more of the EF orders before I give a date on when we will start getting the MFT orders out. They are ready to go, but we need to get through most of the early EF pre-orders first.

I have been blown away seeing all the footage coming from people with their cameras around the world. It's been very exciting to watch the camera doing such fantastic creative work!

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Alan Zucker
on Feb 16, 2013 at 7:51:52 am

There is no clear information from BlackMagic. These guys are about as transparent as a sheet of Duvateen.

Here is the latest (as of Feb 8, 2013)...

"we have been getting out a very steady stream of cameras to all of our distributors around the world weekly."
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4916

Sounds encouraging until you realize that they have been shipping in such low numbers... which makes a "steady" stream the least desirable outcome. We should expect a rapidly increasing stream.

At this point, I would not base any creative decisions or business strategies on the BlackMagic Cinema Camera.

Return to posts index

Evan Winet
on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:33:29 pm

Sadly, I have to agree. I'll be doing the upcoming project on a GH2. If digital bolex gets going soon, I may give up on BMCC altogether.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:40:39 am

[Alan Zucker] "At this point, I would not base any creative decisions or business strategies on the BlackMagic Cinema Camera.
"

As you shouldn't with ANY unreleased camera, especially if the Company tell you that they have had a major sensor issue. I'm sure BMD would love to be shipping large volumes of cameras, it's not as if they are witholding cameras just to annoy customers.

I understand the impatience, but not some of the hate that is appearing on some forums. We should all be VERY thankful that Grant and BMD have even tried to do this.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Evan Winet
on Feb 17, 2013 at 3:56:34 pm

I guess I started this, so let me say that for me at least, 1) Of course it's not too clever to *base* a production decision on a camera not yet shipping. In this case, I was just looking for the best info available before abandoning the slim hope of using the camera soon. And 2) there's no hate from me. I remain very excited about BMCC, delighted they did it-- but frustrated for ALL our sakes. They're going to lose business they deserved, including mine unfortunately.

No doubt it's not easy for a company like BM to manufacture its first camera. I hope they take the lessons to heart and do better rolling out the next models.

Return to posts index

Alan Zucker
on Feb 17, 2013 at 4:41:26 pm

I am sorry if my post seemed hateful. That was not my intention, and I harbor no hate for Mr. Grant or the company.

What I tried to express was disappointment about their communications... and more importantly the fact that I have lost any trust for BlackMagic Design as a company.

I realize that it is difficult to launch something brand new. I just feel like they could have handled it better. As soon as problems with the sensor appeared, they should have been on a PR campaign to dramatically lower expectations regarding shipping dates.

I think that, even to-date, their messaging has been inappropriately optimistic.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 17, 2013 at 5:19:05 pm

Apologies, but I wasn't really referring to your posts on here, it was a general thought based on comments on other forums.

I would say it's a camera well worth waiting for, despite some initial issues, because it can make images like this

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]