FORUMS: list search recent posts

manual apreture solution for Blackmagic camera

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
manual apreture solution for Blackmagic camera
on Jan 13, 2013 at 4:00:41 am

With the Blackmagic MFT with the following adaptor allowas you to use CANON ef lenses and adjust the apreture manually. It may be the solution to what every one thinks is a huge disatvantage (no apreture controle on the EF lenses)How ever I wonder how solid the adaptor is, any one has any experience with this adaptor???????

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829759-REG/Redrock_Micro_8_090_0001_L...

The Redrock Micro LiveLens MFT Active Lens Mount is the first active lens adapter allowing Canon EF lenses to be used with any micro four-thirds (MFT) camera, including the Panasonic AG-AF100, Panasonic GH 1/2, and Olympus PEN cameras. A 9V battery and power cable are included.

Canon EF lenses need power and electronic controls to adjust aperture. Without them, aperture is stuck wide open, severely limiting the usefulness of the lens. The Redrock LiveLens MFT presents a solution to the problem, delivering power to the EF lens and a control pad enabling aperture adjustment. Using the LiveLens MFT, you are able to set the EF lens aperture to any stop in increments as small as 1/3 or 1/5, depending upon the lens. The adapter is compatible with virtually every EF lens on the market today, including variable aperture zoom, prime, consumer-level and professional L-series lenses. It also works with the majority of third party EF-compatible lenses.

Ali Quintana

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
Re: manual apreture solution for Blackmagic camera
on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:36:53 pm

At this point, there's only one MFT prototype in the world that I know of, and John Brawley uses it on occasion for testing in Australia for BMD. With that said, John would be the only one to truly know if it would work, and if Redrock Micro sent him one to test one.

I've seen this solution in the past, and on paper, it looks like it would work with the BMCC MFT model. No saying for sure until they're physically put together. I think this could be a great solution, but the original BMCC EF model still has the advantage of Image Stabilization with supported IS lenses. I've found the IS feature on the BMCC to be useful and helpful in certain situations.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 15, 2013 at 2:51:49 am

But but but, I was just getting ready to order the BM (mft), it says its available on their site.....

Id there absolutely no way to get apreture controll on the BMC?

And how does the BMC decide on what apreture to use for the canon ef lenses?

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:54:58 pm

mtf have been producing a suitable adaptor for some time See
mtfservices.com or lensadaptor.com.

EF Full Exposure Control Terminal

One box, with a choice of 3 mounts, Sony PMW-F3, Sony NEX FS–100 and 700 and Panasonic AG-AF 101 (these 3 mounts are sold seperately)
Designed and built in England
Adjusts aperture in 1/8th stop increments.
Displays focal length as well as aperture.
Displays focal length while zooming
Displays aperture ramping while zooming (for lenses with non constant aperture)