FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grant Petty’s 8th BMCC shipping status update message

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter J. DeCrescenzo
Grant Petty’s 8th BMCC shipping status update message
on Dec 14, 2012 at 3:47:21 pm

Today, Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design, posted his 8th status update message concerning Blackmagic Cinema Camera manufacturing delays:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2688&sid=be19c7ebcd24...

============================

Hi,

Here is another update on the camera shipments.

Some good news. If you have read my other posts about the causes of the camera delays then you know we have been dealing with a problem with our sensor supplier related to contamination of the glass that's bonded on the front of the sensor. It's not been clean and so we had to stop production of cameras.

There have been two issues here we have been dealing with, the first that the sensor supplier has not been able to see the contamination because their tests were not good enough, and secondly that they need to find a way of bonding the glass on the sensor without contamination.

The good news is that we got a small shipment of sensors that the sensor supplier had tested with their new test setup and they were all ok when we built cameras with them. This is good because they will now be able to see sensors that are contaminated and not ship us anything that's unable to be used to build a camera.

Also, the sensor supplier has done a small run of sensors at the new company that's bonding the glass and they got almost a 100% pass rate, which is also great. This means they finally have a solution to bonding on the glass that looks like it will work.

The plan at the moment is to do a small production run this week and we hope to get those sensors next week where we can build cameras using them and see how it all goes.

But things are looking quite good. This run of cameras next week will test the sensor supplier's ability to build sensors without contamination and to also be able to test them correctly so we only get good sensors. If that's all ok then we look like we will be able to move back into production.

I will update everyone next week when we know. I also hope to have more info on how fast they can ramp up with this new supplier and the new test.

I hope this update helps.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

============================

About the BMCC:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

-

---

http://www.peterdv.com
Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Grant Petty’s 8th BMCC shipping status update message
on Dec 14, 2012 at 4:22:39 pm

Peter, I believe that this post was the 7th update made on November 15th. I don't think it's from today.

RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Dec 15, 2012 at 2:11:35 am

Hi Matthew:

Apologies. You're correct. I copied & pasted the wrong text. Oops! :-)

Below is today's announcement:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3457

==================================

Hi,

Ok good news everyone as the test run of sensors have just been built into cameras and they look good. Very good. So we have just given the sensor supplier the go ahead to commence volume production of the sensors and we hope to start getting them within the next week to start building cameras. How many cameras? I am not sure, as we have all stopped production and so we all need to restart production and see how many they can produce. However we will be working hard to build as many cameras as possible over the next few weeks.

I hope people start to see more cameras shipping, but it might be a good idea if I post another update early January to update everyone on how production is progressing.

As for the micro four thirds model, it's ready to go, however the problem is I feel until we are shipping a whole bunch of EF model cameras, there is little point building any of the MFT model. So we will ship as many as we can and then perhaps see where we are mid Jan and do a few MFT models then.

It is sure a relief seeing this problem coming to a close. I cannot believe this happened and it's been an incredibly frustrating delay. However I am feeling really positive now.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

==================================

-

---

http://www.peterdv.com
Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

John v.d. Putten
on Dec 25, 2012 at 12:23:19 am

Hi Grant,

That is good news, can you tell me when the first MFT versions will be shipping for Europe?

Good luck on the restart!

Regards,

John

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Dec 28, 2012 at 5:37:46 pm

Hi John,

Questions posed to Grant are better asked on the Blackmagic Design Forum, specifically linked to above by Peter.

My own guess, based on nothing but following this for several months and gathering whatever information that I can, is that I can only assume that the MFT version will be no less than three moths behind the EF version. There is a huge amount of back orders on the EF version that go back a full five months before the MFT version was even announced. I do think though that BMD will do everything they can to get working cameras out before April.

The variables here are three fold in my opinion;

1) Blackmagic Design's actual speed of manufacture and rate at which they can fill back orders as those will be done in order stretching back to April. (I have been pre-ordered on EF version since 4/29 and MFT since 9/7)

2) Any and all production problems. They really can't afford any more and I sympathize completely with them. I believe that Grant and everyone else at BMD has been working very hard and I trust that as hard a wait as it has been for us, they have had a harder time than we are having.

3) NAB. At what point is it too late? At what point do you have to change? In this last year we don't know what the other companies have been cooking up to compete with the BMCC but we will all know at NAB. Panasonic has not put out anything huge in a few years and Sony and Canon don't really have competing low budget options. I discount even the FS100 and FS700 due to their comparably lower resolution to the BMCC and to beat it on the FS700 costs many thousands of dollars in hardware upgrades. So we can see some significant competition arise in April for BMD and the real question is at what point will they have missed the boat? At what point will they need to change their game to stay ahead? Companies have had a year to respond. We will soon see what their responses will be.

Case in point to my third point, the RED Scarlet was announced not just as 3K for 3K, but it was announced as a 2/3 sensor, fixed lens camera. Had it come out within the year of its announcement, all would have been fine. But the camera never came. But companies responded nonetheless. Panasonic put out the AF100, Sony put out the F3 and later the FS100. These three cameras made the announced Scarlet obsolete before it even hit the assembly line and RED was forced to change strategies and ultimately, change the Scarlet entirely. I don't think BMD wants to have to do this and I personally don't think it will come to this, but I do also think that NAB sets a very real timeline for camera delivery, at least for the EF. If the MFT is not shipping by NAB, I would not be surprised to see a change in spec to see it remain fresh, possibly an active mount over the passive.

Again, these are just my opinions and I have no more information than you do. I know that's a lot more than you asked for but I hope that might give you some insight.

Cheers,
Matt

RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

John v.d. Putten
on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:41:53 pm

Thnx Matt,

For your information. I hope BMD will produce some MFT's, when they get production up to speed.

Rehards,

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]