FORUMS: list search recent posts

The return of the dof adapter?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lambert
The return of the dof adapter?
on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:35:01 pm

Is there a reason why I haven't seen this mentioned RE: the BMC? Is there a reason why the Letus's, Sg Blades of the world would not be able to make a resurgence if we found a way to make this work?

Would it be possible to use say a 50mm 1.4 with a decent minimum focus distance as a relay lens, with step ring to join the two allowing the full 35mm frame to be used for our lenses?

Yes we don't know about the low light performance of the BMC yet but surely it's reasonable to assume it's on par with say an EX3 given the bigger sensor size and the couple of years development time between them, assuming their's nothing I've overlooked but a DOF adaptor could be the answer we've all been looking for? We'll until BMC announce the mk2. in 6months time lol

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
Re: The return of the dof adapter?
on Jul 16, 2012 at 3:45:07 pm

I was thinking the same thing.. Got a bunch of fast BNCR primes that might work nicely.. although there are some wide EF's available down to 8mm.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jul 16, 2012 at 3:47:52 pm

Hi Chris:

I don't know if it's been talked about much here on the COW. Perhaps that's because the consensus is that DOF adapters were a somewhat painful chapter in the history of video & film production, and, well, people have moved on.

Since the crop factor difference between the BMCC's sensor and S35 motion picture film is only about 1.6 (or about 2.3 compared to 35mm full-frame stills format), there are fast lenses which can directly mount to the BMCC and yield pleasant shallow DOF effects.

I'm sure a few folks will mess with DOF adapters on the BMCC, but I don't expect their use to make a big comeback. If someone really wants extremely shallow DOF there are other cameras available for that now.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:55:09 pm

I agree with Peter. DOF adapters came and went. The height of their arrival was because HDSLR cameras hadn't been released yet. When those came, people started shooting on those for their narrow DOF, rather than the bulky DOF adapters. I actually still have my Letus Extreme, probably should have sold it, but it's here.

I still don't think DOF adapters will be needed to get the narrow DOF you want from the Cinema Camera. Sure it wont be as easy or razor-thin as a 5D with a 50mm f/1.2L, but you'll still be able to get pleasing DOF with it. As the camera is released and people really start using it, I think they'll see they'll get the DOF they want, or close to it. Again, maybe not as fast or razor-thin as a 5D, but then again, that's probably a good thing. ;-)

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]