FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic URSA Mini and Frame Rate Options Up to 240fps

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Buck Miller
Blackmagic URSA Mini and Frame Rate Options Up to 240fps
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:36:51 am

I plan to buy a Blackmagic URSA Mini very soon for my company, and I have a client that is asking for 240fps. I read that it will not do that, that it will only do up to 120fps (in 2K only) if I understand that right.

Does someone know of an off camera solution where I can gain up to 240fps independent of the camera setting somehow? I think I read that the Odessey Q7+ will, but if I understand correctly, that is dependent on the camera make and model. Has anyone been able to achieve 240fps with the URSA Mini? Thank you in advance for your help with these questions.

Return to posts index

erik cantu
Re: Blackmagic URSA Mini and Frame Rate Options Up to 240fps
on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:13:31 pm

Regardless of the recording situation, internal or external, the camera portion of the URSA mini does not capture frames faster than 120fps. I would not expect that the change in any software updates either.

Depending on the subject of the footage, you may be able to get away with a stretching the URSA mini's 120fps in post with one of the better time stretching plugins.

If 240fps isn't to much of your productions, I suggest renting a higher speed camera system as needed. If it is a greater need to have that feature, I would suggest the Sony FS5 or FS7 and the Odessey recorder instead of a Blackmagic camera. Those Sony's are similarly priced (all kitted out) to the URSA MINI, have similar quality and with the external recorder, can record raw and high speed, plus all your high speed and normal footage with match as they cam from the same camera.

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Buck Miller
Re: Blackmagic URSA Mini and Frame Rate Options Up to 240fps
on Jan 9, 2017 at 6:27:23 am
Last Edited By Buck Miller on Jan 9, 2017 at 6:27:46 am

Thanks so much Erik. That is what I figured was the case, but I wanted to explore all options. I have seen youtube videos explaining how to do this on the Sony cameras with the Odyssey external. I don't see myself needing high speed past the 120fps for any of my expected clientele, but my client's client asked for it, so of course I came here after doing much other research around the net. Thanks again for clearing things up for me.

Buck Miller

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]