FORUMS: list search recent posts

URSA MINI 4.6K RAW Frame Rate Question

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
URSA MINI 4.6K RAW Frame Rate Question
on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:25:57 pm

Question fellas,

I have 2 BMPCCs a BMMC and a BMPC4K and obviously am looking towards to URSA 4.6 but a question lingers, I know I can get 60P 4K RAW footage which paired with 15 stops of DR is a reason to buy but can I get the 120fps in Windowed HD to also use RAW? I never shoot outside of RAW because it feels like I am dishonoring the codec. Does this camera do that? Remember I said RAW not ProRes.

Return to posts index

erik cantu
Re: URSA MINI 4.6K RAW Frame Rate Question
on Nov 2, 2016 at 2:32:15 am

Sorry, the 120fps mode is "video recording."

Worth remembering too that the 60fps RAW recording needs two CFast cards loaded in, it alternates recorded frames to the cards because of the huge amount of data, and you can recompile the footage in post.

High speed 1080p as RAW would be a great firmware update if it's possible. I,m an early BMCC owner and ever since they added the compressed RAW ability to my BMCC, that's about all I shoot.

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Nov 2, 2016 at 6:23:49 am

There is some misinformation here. The only time you need two asynchronous CFast2 cards is if the single CFast2 card you are using is not fast enough, namely at 60p 4.6K RAW Lossless RAW. You can record 60p 4.6K 4:1 RAW for days on a proper card (I use Lexar). You can record 2K 16:9, 2K DCI, and 1080 HD @ 120 FPS RAW or ProRes (and any flavor therein). This is all thanks to the OS 4.0 update, which has brought in a ton of features and easier operation. So the answer is yes, Terry.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Nov 2, 2016 at 3:56:48 pm

120FPS RAW?!?!? I cannot wait until that's 120FPS in 4K at RAW. Hopefully in an update. Thanks man!

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
on Dec 1, 2016 at 2:25:49 pm

There is some misinformation here. The only time you need two asynchronous CFast2 cards is if the single CFast2 card you are using is not fast enough, namely at 60p 4.6K RAW Lossless RAW. You can record 60p 4.6K 4:1 RAW for days on a proper card (I use Lexar). You can record 2K 16:9, 2K DCI, and 1080 HD @ 120 FPS RAW or ProRes (and any flavor therein). This is all thanks to the OS 4.0 update, which has brought in a ton of features and easier operation. So the answer is yes, Terry.

Question for you. How long can you record on the 256gb card at 60p 4.6K 4:1 RAW? How many minutes? It's tough coming off of the BMPC 4K that gives me an hour of RAW recording on a 1 TB SSD. The compressed format I'm sure will help loads but I just want to make sure. Wait...if it's 4:1 then wouldn't it be about an hour in 30p and 1/2 hour in 60p on 256GB?

Thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]