FORUMS: list search recent posts

Amazed at the quality of the footage from the BMCC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Orlando
Amazed at the quality of the footage from the BMCC
on Apr 14, 2016 at 6:38:46 pm

Hello,
I've seen several shorts shot with the BMCC and I'm amazed at the quality of the footage. I think it's better than the 4K sensor.
Now I hear people who have the camera that the moire is really , really bad?
Is that right?
I fully understand how the camera must be rigged to be able to be operational, so I don't need to hear about that again. But I also dont' want to put money in a camera that has horrible moire.
So any advice?
Thanks
Philippe

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Amazed at the quality of the footage from the BMCC
on Apr 18, 2016 at 1:54:45 pm

http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/blackmagic/cinema.html

Contact them and confirm that it will fit in EF mount version if you go that route.

You are correct that the 2.5K is a better image than 4K. The 2.5 has another full stop of dynamic range and sensitivity though it sacrifices the global shutter and of course frame size. Frame size is in some cases able to be compensated with Metabones Speedbooster.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
RED Scarlet-X
2015 Macbook Pro 15", 2.5 Ghz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Jay Walton
Re: Amazed at the quality of the footage from the BMCC
on Jun 7, 2016 at 11:31:46 am

Hey Philippe,

Yes it is right that BMCC have a really bad moire.

It's worse than I expected, especially after getting used to a gh2 and mark iii. It is nowhere near as bad as a 5d mark ii however. Just be careful on people's clothing and on wide large depth of field shots.
While using BMCC camera, synthetic materials, especially rayons, are to be avoided as they are most susceptible to moiré. On the positive side, natural fibres are the least likely to cause moiré and cotton being ideal.

You can try Canon XF305 HD Camera for better picture quality and it also doesn't have bad moire.

Regards
Jay Walton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]