FORUMS: list search recent posts

A dumb question about frame rates

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
A dumb question about frame rates
on Mar 22, 2016 at 9:16:01 pm

Hey Guys,

Recently I have begun exclusively shooting on Blackmagic cameras so that I can make color matching a gosh darn breeze! I used to shoot across multiple different types of cameras including H.264s and back then I was always told to shoot in 23.98 or 29.97 to keep it all straight because of the old canon dslrs. However, now that I've moved to Blackmagic, I'm curious if I should lock them all at 30fps now that they are all using same codecs and manufacturers and any reason why I would NOT want to do this.

Return to posts index

erik cantu
Re: A dumb question about frame rates
on Mar 23, 2016 at 12:42:31 pm

29.97 and 23.976 are broadcast standards, called "drop-frame timecode." If you want to shoot true 30p video with a Blackmagic camera, I think you're fine to do so as long as your output is just for the web and you won't mix in footage from other camera/recording systems.

Editing systems now can handle mixed formats quite well, but still there can be problems and mixing drop-frame and non-drop footage could give you a serious sync issue of sound and picture.

BM camera are one of the few camera systems to offer a true 30p option, most are 29.97p as it is close enough and it is the broadcast standard.

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
Re: A dumb question about frame rates
on Mar 23, 2016 at 7:31:33 pm

Guess I'll be sticking to that!

Thanks man

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]